Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mac pro a1186 no video

Hello all,

Some time ago I was given a Mac Pro A1186 (EMC 2180) that I was told was broken. The issue is that I can't get a video signal at all. The card that it came with is the original ATI 2600. I've tried numerous things including putting the card into different slots, using both DVI ports on the card, and using different cables on different monitors all to no luck. I do get the chime when it starts either with the video card in or taken out when I start it up. I do really want to use this tower, but I don't need a fancy video card as my main plan for this is using it's processing power to rip and encode my personal blu ray collection onto my media center. Is there a way to use my Macbook Pro laptop to install the mac OS onto a hard drive and then boot the 1186 up to that so I can remote into it? If so that would work perfect for me. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Mac Pro

Posted on Aug 9, 2015 2:12 PM

2 replies

Aug 9, 2015 2:45 PM in response to Horror Business

For the graphics card it appears you have a 2008 Mac Pro.

My guess is that you have a bad graphics card.

Without a hack it only runs as high as Lion.

You can try connecting the two Macs via FireWire and booting the Mac Pro in target disk mode and installing the OS on one of the Mac Pro HDs

How to use and troubleshoot FireWire target disk mode - Apple Support

However, since you get noting on the monitor that suggests a bad graphics card.

mac pro a1186 no video

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.