Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How Can I Use My Camera with iChat?

Hello, everyone! I just set up an iChat account, and I would like to have video chats. But the problem is that I can't figure out a way to use my camera! It's a Cannon PowerShot G4, so it's sort of old. When I plug it into my Mac, iPhoto opens and I'm asked to import my photos! I just want to use this camera with iChat, and iMovie and iDVD as well! I have read that this works with FireWire cameras... is there an adapter (my camera uses USB) ? If you're going to tell me that I can't use my camera with iChat because AIM doesn't support video chats, I still want it for iMovie and iDVD. I'm running Tiger, but I just ordered a copy of Leopard and it's on it's way, I'll probably get it in a few days. But, please help with my camera problem!

iBook, Mac OS X (10.4.11), G4, soon to be upgraded to 10.5

Posted on Aug 9, 2015 3:18 PM

11 replies

Aug 9, 2015 3:52 PM in response to BDAqua

BDAqua wrote:

There are no USB<->Firewire adapters, (actually I've seen them advertised out of Asia, but no way they could work, different voltages, amps, & protocols).

iMovie can import movies from a camera, but for live video like iChat, does yours have a setting like Record instead of Play?

It does have a record setting, yes. But when I have it attached to my computer in any setting but play, even if I'm currently recording a video, it does not show up on the screen and it is not recognized by my Mac in any possible way. Please help!

Aug 10, 2015 10:19 AM in response to HFTaylor12

HFTaylor12 wrote: ... I want to use my camera for iMovie and iDVD.

To use your camera with iDVD, first use it with iMovie to capture and / or edit your clips into a product that you want to write to a DVD.

How to use a camera to Record video directly into iMovie depends on which iMovie version you use:

iMovie 2013: iMovie (2013): Importing overview

iMovie 2011: iMovie '11: Record video directly into iMovie

iMovie '09: How to Record video with the iSight camera in iMovie '09

iMovie '06 and iMovie HD: See pages 11 & 12 of this Download iMovie HD Getting Started

Message was edited by: EZ Jim

Mac OSX 10.10.4

How Can I Use My Camera with iChat?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.