Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

voiceover won't turn off on IPod nano 7th generation

I walk with my IPod Nano in my neighborhood using headphones without any microphone. I get an extremely annoying female robotic voice that starts and stops seemingly at random. The voice speaks over whatever I am listening to -- usually a podcast -- reading a list of the contents on the Ipod. Sometimes it will stop when it gets to the end of the list. Yesterday it started the list over again from the beginning.

The setting says that voiceover is off. When it restarted the table of contents, I switched it to "on" thinking it can't be any worse "on" than "off." The voice stayed quiet for about half an hour after that, then started in again.

This seems to be related to motion with the ipod or possibly the headphones. When I use my ipod in my car it doesn't do this.

This problem is extremely annoying and I've had it with other ipods, so I don't think it is faulty hardware.

I talked with an Apple "genius" and he had no clue.

I've seen other discussions where this problem was raised and people responded that voiceover needs to be turned off -- but it IS off according to the device.

I also tried to fix this through Itunes when the ipod was connected to my computer and there was no obvious way to turn voiceover off through Itunes.

iPod nano (7th generation), iOS 8.1

Posted on Aug 9, 2015 6:13 PM

8 replies

Aug 14, 2015 8:16 PM in response to AJ397

Here's an update. I tried exercising with a different pair of headphones -- the same model of headphones I'd been using, just a different pair that hadn't seen as much use. I was able to get through my whole walk without hearing the voice. Maybe just luck, but I'm hoping I've found a solution.

On the other hand, I was using my Ipod in my car today and the voice came on. It usually doesn't occur in my car.

Aug 10, 2015 1:14 PM in response to AJ397

Thanks for the response. I do know how to reach the (supposed) on/off toggle on voiceover via settings>general>accessibility. It shows voiceover is "off." As I said in my original note, out of frustration I turned it on and that seemed to help for awhile, but then the robotic voice returned. Also using Itunes, the box for visual impairment aides is unchecked. I did try a reset (Apple suggested that) and it didn't help. I haven't noticed a black box but maybe I don't know where to look. Where exactly would that be and what does it signify?

Some people with this problem reported that switching headphones solved the problem. I am going to try that, but why that would help is a mystery to me. I just have ordinary, rather cheap (but good) JVC Flats headphones.

Aug 10, 2015 1:51 PM in response to AJ397

Thanks again for your response. I haven't seen that black box. I'll look for it next time the voice returns -- which will probably be tomorrow when I exercise again. What happens is it starts reading the contents of my ipod -- for example, NPR: Planet Money, Car Talk, Fresh Air and whatever audiobooks I have on the device at the time.

Aug 10, 2015 4:35 PM in response to AJ397

Thanks again for responding (and quickly). I have never used the Fitness feature. I tapped run, but there was no Spoken Feedback to choose. The options are Basic, Time, Distance, Calorie, and My Workouts.If I tap Basic, there still is no Spoken Feedback. There is a category called "Workout Music" and within that are Genius Mixes, Playlists, Radio, Podcasts, Audiobooks, Shuffle Songs and None. I will look into the Spoken Feedback further. It seems like a promising avenue of inquiry. It would be really great to figure this out and not be bothered by the robotic female voice.

Oct 7, 2015 8:13 PM in response to depemberton

I had the same problem for some time with my gen.6 iPod. Every time the voice over activates, I'd check "Voice Over" function, only to find it's "off. " My problem was solved after I turned off "Shake the Shuffle." I guess my body motion was causing the problem, even though I never turned on "Shake the Shuffle." To get there, go to Settings, then to Music and slide it. you'll see "Shake the Shuffle" on top of the menu. It just might work with your iPod, too. Good luck!

voiceover won't turn off on IPod nano 7th generation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.