Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can Macbook Pro (15-inch, late 2008) support bootcamp 5.1 and windows 10?

Want to install windows 10 in bootcamp partition. Apple docs indicate this version of MacBook pro only supports bootcamp 4. Windows 8 requires bootcamp 5.1. Should I assume this is the end of the line for software upgrades on this old MacBook Pro?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), Bootcamp 4, Windows 7, 64 bit

Posted on Aug 9, 2015 11:46 PM

10 replies

Aug 13, 2015 5:59 PM in response to relentlessss

I did an install of Yosemite and Windows 10 on my Macbook Pro, late 2008, just to see what could be done. Windows 10 runs quite nicely, much faster than Windows 8. Everything works fine except for trackpad. I installed an USB mouse and modified the trackpad driver in the devices menu, human interface devices, to be a USB device. Trackpad now words as a simple mouse, no gesturing. However, Trackpad ++ at Filecluster.com claims to have a workable driver. Have not been able to download yet. Will post results.

Aug 14, 2015 12:18 AM in response to relentlessss

I now have Windows 10 running in Bootcamp 4 partition, dual booted with Yosemite. I have full trackpad functionality thanks to Vladimir Plenskiy's Trackpad ++ downloaded at http://www.filecluster.com/downloads/Trackpad-Driver-and-Control-Module.html. You must install PowerPlan7 first to override the trusted site digital signature error. Software is safe and it works!!!! All other Win 10 functionality is good and apps run faster than on 7 or 8.1, preserving my MacPro as a nice office machine.

Aug 19, 2015 11:16 PM in response to relentlessss

I have to caveat my initial solution to running Windows 10 on a MacBook Pro (15”, late 2008).
After install of the Filecluster apps, PowerPlan7 and Trackpad++, PowerPlan7 caused erratic bootup, sometimes freezing my system. (Keep in mind these apps were designed to run on mid-2009+ versions of MacBook Pro. ) I initially attempted to solve this problem by:

1. Uninstalling by Filecluster apps.
  2. Disabling driver signature verification of the unsigned Trackpad++ driver using: bcdedit -set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS, at an elevated command prompt
  3. Running the Trackpad++ installer

However this did not install the driver.
So I reinstalled PowerPlan7, then Trackpad++, then uninstalled PowerPlan7. The driver installed and remains functional after many reboots.

Can Macbook Pro (15-inch, late 2008) support bootcamp 5.1 and windows 10?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.