Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Editing AVCHD files on Final Cut Express 4.0.1

What steps will I have to take to be able to edit the AVCHD Progressive/[iFrame / MP4 video files produced by the Panasonic HC-V770 camcorder on my Final Cut Express V. 4.0.1? I am guessing that the Capture and File preparation process may be somewhat different from the tape transfers that I am used to from my elderly Canon XM2 Mini DV camcorder.

Any help will be much appreciated - MichaelCobham

IMAC (27-INCH, LATE 2009), Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Aug 10, 2015 7:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 11, 2015 1:39 PM

FCE only works with DV, HDV and AIC formats. You'll need to convert the AVCHD files to AIC so that they'll match your Sequence settings in FCE prior to importing them. If you plan to output SD video, covert to QuickTime DV.

-DH

7 replies

Aug 12, 2015 4:07 AM in response to David Harbsmeier

Thanks very much David - hope I can value from your experience further. What is AIC - and how do I do the conversion from AVCHD? I suspect I may need new software to achieve this. My uninformed investigations have revealed something called ClipWrap and another package called StreamClip - am I barking up the wrong tree? I am guessing that rather than the continuous collection of clips that I transfer from my Mini DV tapes on the Canon XM2 - the SD card in the new Panasonic will be holding a collection of individual shots - each in its own file - and it is these files that will need to be converted first if I am to be able to continue using my now very familiar FCE editing system. Hope you don't mind helping this enthusiastic home movie maker trying to avoid achieving a hopeless mismatch between the edit system I am comfortable with and a new camera. I fear the transport system on my much loved XM2 is finally proving unreliable.

With my thanks and good wishes - Michael

Aug 13, 2015 1:45 AM in response to MichaelCobham

You don't have to actively convert your AVCHD to AIC.

In FCE select File>Log and Transfer. A Log and Transfer window will appear and all the clips on the SD card will quickly appear. Then simply select the clips you want to import and drag them into the "Drag media here" box.

The import will start and all the clips will be converted to AIC automatically.

This will take some time but should be quicker than realtime.

Sep 25, 2015 7:44 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

Messrs Brown, Harbsmeter:

Does what you suggest apply to XAVC files too?

Like Mr Cobham, I, too, purchased a new camera, a Sony PXW-X70, a few weeks ago, and I am also quite happy with my Final Cut Express 4, which took me quite a while to learn the ins and outs. For that reason, I am reluctant to purchase the Final Cut Pro X and spend another few months of my life to get used to it. In fact, some film people say that they may never get used to it. The reason I've got the X70 is that I want to produce the highest quality video possible within my resources, so I don't want to downconvert the footage, otherwise I would keep using my old Sony DVCam.

What would you do if you were in my shoes?

Editing AVCHD files on Final Cut Express 4.0.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.