Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setup Messages with phone number

Previously in 10.9 I had Messages setup with my personal phone number so I could get texts on my work computer (We communicate via text often).

With 10.10, I can't seem to figure out how to do this... the iCloud account at work doesn't have my phone number associated with it and there doesn't seem to be any way to setup a Messages account with a phone number (I selected Add Other Account > Messages, but it's not an option).

They didn't remove this feature did they? How do I do this?!?

Thanks in advance.

iMac (27-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Aug 10, 2015 7:59 AM

6 replies

Aug 10, 2015 12:28 PM in response to kraymitchell

Hi,

The assumption is that one iPhone will be associated with one Apple ID.

This means your set up the iPhone and then Add the Apple ID after setting it up on the Mac and then if you want your disable the Apple ID as Receive or Start Conversations from on the Mac.

I am reading this that you potentially want to add the iPhone Number to another Apple ID on a work computer much like Eric suggested could be done in older versions.

Am I correct ?

If this is the case I am not sure it can be done.

This is because it will effectively link two Apple IDs to the iPhone number and there is not an easy way to disentangle them afterwards.

User uploaded file

8:28 p.m. Monday; August 10, 2015

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Aug 10, 2015 12:33 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Hey Ralph,

I do not want to add my number to my work Apple ID. I want it to work as it did previously, where I had both Apple ID's signed in and Messages used my personal one with my number attached to it.

If it worked before, I don't see why they shouldn't be able to continue with that. I had no issues with either account while using it...

Aug 10, 2015 12:37 PM in response to kraymitchell

Hi,

In that case add the Apple ID (as Email to the Home Mac).

The work Mac should then show Pop ups saying what the Home Mac and iPhone are using which you need to accept.

Or remove the Apple ID on the iPhone (Sign Out) and link it to the Work Apple ID then add the home Mac's Apple ID as mail.

User uploaded file

8:37 p.m. Monday; August 10, 2015

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Setup Messages with phone number

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.