Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

opendirectoryd taking up my over 90% cpu

I find my mac air is easily getting hot even when I am not running any app. Following some instructions online, I found that the "opendirectoryd" takes up cpu around 90-101. Then, I tried the link OS X: If the opendirectoryd process CPU utilization is high after updating to OS X v10.9.5 - Apple Support. But this solution is not for me. I am really confused about this issue. Could someone help me out? Thanks a lot!

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), early 2014

Posted on Aug 10, 2015 8:34 AM

15 replies

Aug 14, 2015 10:22 AM in response to qianishere

This is a wild guess that maybe there is a fake opendirectoryd on your system. The following will not change anything on your system, it will just provide information.

Please start an Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal session and enter the following command:

ps ax | grep '[o]pendirectoryd'

You should see something like the following, where opendirectoryd is located in /usr/libexec.

22 ?? Ss 1:11.42 /usr/libexec/opendirectoryd

If you see more than 1 opendirectoryd, especially if the 2nd was located in a different directory, that would be interesting.

Aug 15, 2015 2:02 PM in response to qianishere

qianishere wrote:

There is no file shown in my mac. The file mentioned on the Step 9.

Are you saying that there is not physical directory and file

/Active Directory/EXAMPLE.COM (where EXAMPLE.COM may be the name of your Active Directory domain)

on your Mac (because if you think this, I'm fairly sure step 9 does not refer to a real directory and file)

Or that the Open Directory Utility did not have entry /Acive Directory/EXAMPLE.COM (again where EXAMPLE.COM is your Windows Domain name) listed in the Open Directory display?

And finally, "Are" you a member of a Microsoft Active Directory environment?

NOTE: I am mostly making educated guesses, as I have NEVER had my Mac participate in an Active Directory, not even my iMac at work, which is full of Windows computers and Microsoft Active Directory environments. So I'm mostly guessing, and could be totally going in the wrong direction.

opendirectoryd taking up my over 90% cpu

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.