Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 Not Informing Me Of Available App Updates

I have an iPhone 6 running the current version of iOS (8.4). Normally, when an app update is available, my phone will let me know in "real time"..i.e. when an app update would become available, the red number badge would appear on the App Store icon to indicate this. Then, I'd open the App Store and install the updates (I do not have automatic installs enabled). Today, I, manually opened the App Store, went to the updates tab, and let the phone check for updates. A large number of available updates showed up. Some of them were more than two weeks old. Why was I not informed two weeks ago when these updates became available? Why did I have to manually open to App Store to become aware of these updates? I haven't changed any settings on my phone. How do I get the previous behavior back? Thanks.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.4

Posted on Aug 10, 2015 9:01 AM

6 replies

Aug 10, 2015 10:01 AM in response to Cerebro

Hmmm.... puzzling. Have you tried a hard reboot, cures a lot of ills and is easy and quick: Hold down the Home and Wake/Sleep buttons at the same time for about 15 seconds until the Apple logo appears. Ignore the "Slide to power off" text if it comes up. You will not loose anything whatsoever.

Also silly question, why not enable the auto app update?

Aug 10, 2015 9:59 AM in response to elcpu

I'll try that. Of course I won't know whether or not it worked until another app update has been released.

As to your question. I don't want updates to be automatically installed. I want to see what updates I have and control when and what I'm installing.

But I still need my device to inform me that the updates are there...

Aug 14, 2015 7:25 AM in response to elcpu

I did a hard reboot a few days a go per elcpu's suggestion.

Today, I successfully received notification of several app updates that were released in the past two days (I don't know how frequently the phone checks for updates). Two days is better than two weeks, so I'll assume that whatever the problem was has managed to fix itself.

Sep 4, 2015 8:07 PM in response to Cerebro

Well I THOUGHT the problem was solved (and it was working fine for a short while). Now, once again, I had another two weeks of updates that the App Store was stockpiling and NOT pushing notifications to my phone. I always thought my phone was meant to notify me of updates more frequently than this. Can anyone enlighten me as to what might be going on? Thanks.

iPhone 6 Not Informing Me Of Available App Updates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.