Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Renaming Seagate external drives for iMac and Authenticate external drive

I have 2 Seagate external drives attached to my iMac. I was able to rename 1 drive by using Utilities, erasing the drive and adding a name (backup of iMac hard drive). I want to rename the other drive, which shows up as Remote Disc to My Pictures. I select Remote Disc, go to Utilities and remote disk does not show up in Disk Utility.

2nd problem: After unsuccessfully trying to change name of Remote Disc, I decided to move files from iMac hard drive to Remote Disc. I click on folder to move and press the control key. When I drop the folder into the Remote Disc finder window, I get a message that says "Modifying "Remote Disc" requires an administrator name and password. To move "filename", click Authenticate. OK. How do I do this?

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Aug 10, 2015 1:43 PM

5 replies

Aug 12, 2015 7:31 AM in response to Kappy

I've figured out the changing of the name of a file. Still can't change the name of the remote disc.

I've been organizing many years of photos that have been on many external drives. I've moved them to the hard drive of my iMac. I've used 2 finder windows to organize files into folders that will make life easier to find something in years to come. Now the iMac is telling me that my start up drive is getting full.

I have a dedicated 3T Seagate hard drive attached to the iMac via USB - want to move organized photos to this drive.

A second 3T Seagate external drive is attached for Time Capsule backup - working well, no problem.

A third 1T Seagate is attached for a special photo project that I have been working on for years (no problem moving those files to this drive).

I want to move my organized pictures to the first drive so my iMac will continue to work fast. The first file that I want to drag and drop gives me the "Authenticate" message. I've checked - the file is not locked. Could the 3T Seagate hard drive be locked somehow? Do I need to do something to it so I can use only for an external hard drive, not an auto backup?

Not sure what you mean in your previous message about Remote Disc not necessarily a physical device. All 3 of my external drives are attached via USB. All three show up in the finder window under devices. Looking at the listing, there is a little "close icon" (arrow point upward with a line underneath) besides 2 of the external drives. The Remote Disc does not have this icon.

Aug 12, 2015 12:15 PM in response to Nanacyn

Remote Disk is a sidebar alias that only works if you have a remote disk which you do not. If you click on the sidebar alias it will show an empty Finder window. There is no Desktop icon for Remote Disk. As you see below it's use is for remote optical drives for a computer with no internal optical drive. I have one listed in the sidebar of my 2015 iMac.

DVD or CD sharing- Using Remote Disc

MacBook Air, Mac mini- How to use Remote Disc to share DVDs or CDs from a Mac or Windows-based compu…

Renaming Seagate external drives for iMac and Authenticate external drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.