Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Underlined Text Messages

Why are all of my outgoing text messages underlined in red or blue when the spelling and grammar is correct? Entire paragraphs are being underlined and my language is set to English. I can't seem to find a solution to this.

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.4

Posted on Aug 10, 2015 4:18 PM

14 replies

Jan 28, 2017 11:22 PM in response to plind

ME too, I used Siri to dictate long paragraphs with but of course, Siri gets about 20% of the words wrong and I need to tap on the screen to get a cursor and slide it, to get some typo errors fixed

it happens always in iMessage, and when i try to tap, hold and slide finger to move text cursor and find the word to respell properly, the blue text steals my focus and selects the whole word, whcih is misspelled, that i wish to change.

what is even more frustrating, is the fact that it offers me soelling suggestions and oredictions, of words which are not corrections, rather, take a reak word, and suggest a nonexistent one in its stead!

SIri changes reak wirds to nonexistent ones constantly, but i like to use dictation because i write a lot every day (up to 80,000 words a day)

ALl i want is NO red blue or any colour underlined text, and to stop the blue illuminated text from selecting the whole wird, and forbidding cursor sliding to correct individual characters..

DIctation also cant do words like 'order' 'too' 'again', and cannot even differentiated 'four' from for', from context of sentence.

User uploaded file

i Wouldnt mind the errors, if it were possible to edit the misspelled word, but it isnt, due to the blue text auto selecting the whole word..

Jan 28, 2017 11:33 PM in response to jasong814

I think it is because of punctuation. When we use dictation, way very often forget to use the word 'comma' 'open parenthesis', 'new line' etc.. you know, like in the 1950s, when the boss used to dictate to the secretary, and she had to write it down. A good dictator will speak out to the punctuation marks too, so that the dictation software that will enter them. If you enter enough punctuation marks, commas etc. then perhaps these blue dotted lines will not appear.

however, if they are intended for punctuation, or, at least, if they are appearing when long sentences have no punctuation, then why on earth are they offering spelling corrections or word alternatives When tapped on?

i Sound wierd when using dictation, because I actually speak out to the punctuation marks as I am speaking. I have noticed that this reduces the amount of blue dotted lines when I stop speaking and look at the text.

until punctuation seems to have something to do with it because punctuating well, also reduces the amount of blue dotted line text

Aug 10, 2015 4:32 PM in response to momofjcrew

Red underline appears to be spelling mistakes. Blue underlined appears to grammar/word/dictation correction and suggestion. I tested this theory and attached screenshot. The below message says spelled wrong(purposely misspelled to get red) and a dictated part "Siri is smarter than you" (as you can see it wasn't 100% accurate and tried to make suggestions) -AJ

User uploaded file

Aug 11, 2015 9:21 PM in response to momofjcrew

Thanks Tom and AJ for the replies, however, I still can't seem to correct this. I am set on English but regardless of what I type in an outgoing text, it's still underlinked in blue and some red. Weirdest thing. It's frustrating because when I go to tap the blue line (when the entire paragraph is underlined blue) it then highlights everything blue and gives me the bar across the top with "cut, copy, paste, define." Grrr! So frustrating! Do I need to go to the Genius Bar? Is there something that I'm missing?

Nov 27, 2015 9:45 AM in response to momofjcrew

This is now suddenly happening to me and other people in my household as well. Almost everything we dictate using speech to text ends up underlined in blue. Very annoying very difficult to work with. Any ideas why this is suddenly happening?

I checked keyboard settings, and I tried to make sure that everything is correct. Any help would be appreciated!

Nov 27, 2015 11:02 PM in response to momofjcrew

This is the most annoying issue I have with my iPhone 6 (iOS 9.1) and I have not seen an adequate response yet to the problem. Almost every time I dictate a text message, it seems at least one full sentence (sometimes 15 to 20 words) of the dictation is completely underlined with blue dots. If I want to add a new word in the middle of the underlined sentence (I'm already satisfied with the it grammatically), I will tap the location where I want the cursor to be to add the word, but it will not allow the cursor there; rather, suddenly the entire underlined sentence now becomes highlighted in blue. Sometimes, above the highlighting, a suggestion shows up like a hyperlink as to what it thinks the sentence should be, but that's not allowing me to add a new word to the sentence. If I tap the location again where I want the cursor to be (the sentence is already highlighted), it still will not allow the cursor there; instead, after this tap, the entire sentence remains highlighted now in a slightly different hue of blue with a menu appearing above the sentence to "cut, copy, paste, define, share..." Those choices are for the entire highlighted sentence, not a part of it. I am never allowed to place the cursor inside the highlighted area. And if I double tap where I want the cursor to be to insert a new word, an existing word close to where I double tap is then highlighted with the same menu choices to "cut, paste, define, share..." I am never allowed to conveniently place the cursor where I want to add a new word. I have seen the suggestion of clicking on the space next to the last highlighted word of the sentence but that only removes the underlining of the last word, the rest of the sentence remains underlined and the same inability to place the cursor remains. I know others have asked how to remove or disable this underlining/highlighting function, but the question seems always ignored and, instead, further explanations of underlining are given which is not what I want. There is no blue underlining, highlighting, etc. when dictating email and notes. They work perfectly in the normal fashion. I really want to remove or disable this underling/highlighting function. It basically stops me from wanting to dictate text messages, which is how I have prepared my texts for years!

Jan 8, 2016 6:28 AM in response to Conrad C.

Yes!!! Exactly the problem I'm having! An no one is answering the question.

I am aware of how the red or blue underlining is SUPPOSED to work... everyone who answers this seems to give this same answer. The problem is, that is not how it IS working. Randomly, but regularly, dictation into text messages is entirely underlined... not just a word or phrase. This has never happened before. It's a new issue. I've used dictation for years. I know the verbal commands and the tips & tricks, etc... I've never had entire messages, or entire sentences underlined in blue. That is new bug. And I'm with you Conrad, it's extremely annoying!

Has there been any answers and/or fixes for this??? 😕

Jan 8, 2016 6:48 AM in response to DocBob97

I've also noticed dictation seems to be getting more "buggy" in general over time... example:

The first word in a text message is often not capitalized... but if I restart dictating in the middle of a sentence the first word IS capitalized???

or another good example:

I dictated the word "messages" but it typed "message is". It did underlined the "is" and gave me the option to replace it with the word "messages". I confirmed that yes I did in fact want it to say "messages" by tapping the suggested word and it replaced the "is" with "messages" but left the word "message" where is was... So now I have "message messages" that I have to go back and correct???

This kind of thing is happening more and more. Dictation gets less reliable ever time there is an update.

Dec 1, 2016 4:21 PM in response to DocBob97

Same here. This is what prompted me to search online. I understand how it gets confused with full sentences however when one word for instance "in" it underlined because you dictated "and" and typically you'd press the underlined word for a list of corrections, rather than present this, it's like the sensor isn't precise enough so you press the word and it either selects the entire word or puts a cursor before or after the word, getting it to just press the **** unlined word is frustrating. It's gotten to the point where I'll just manually type and let it autocorrect my typing errors. It does a great with that. Apple, you need to fix this. If a word is underlined but it's nearly impossible to "precisely" press the word to get the pop up with other choices, it would seem easier to just remove the feature. Maybe on an iPad but on an iPhone it's mostly useless. I attached a screen shot of what happens vs what I know should happen.. In the image I clearly pressed the word "it" and rather than prompt, it just placed the cursor after the word and brought up the copy/paste tools.User uploaded file

Underlined Text Messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.