Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Red Screen Virus, Adware or Malware Help

Good evening everyone,

My Safari has recently been hit with some sort of virus that causes it to lock up and show the attached warning boxes. While locked-up it does not allow the windows to be closed, a new address to be input in the URL bar or any of the pull down menus to be accessed. Below are images of the windows while locked up. The first image is a pop-up that requires a clicking of the 'OK' button to get to the following red screen and subsequent pop-up window. I currently have no anti-virus software installed (I know, I know...) and could use some suggestions on which software may be best to help remove whatever virus/adware/malware this may be. Any suggestions on the specific kind of virus this may be would also be appreciated.

I'm obviously not going to call the phone number or click the buttons on the red screen (which don't seem to be actual links).

For reference, my OS is 10.9.5 and my Safari version is 7.1.7. I'm writing this post from Firefox, which seems to work without any issues.

Thanks in advance,

Eric

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Aug 10, 2015 3:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2015 3:04 PM

Choose Force Quit from the Apple menu, close Safari, and then launch it with the Shift key held down. If the message reappears, disconnect the computer from the Internet for long enough to erase that site from the browser history.

It's possible but unlikely that this issue is caused by adware; if so, download and runMalwareBytes for Mac. It isn't caused by a virus in any case.

Not having any antivirus software on your computer isn't a problem unless you're running Windows on it or frequently exchange files with people using Windows.

(131571)

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 10, 2015 3:04 PM in response to Ejand22

Choose Force Quit from the Apple menu, close Safari, and then launch it with the Shift key held down. If the message reappears, disconnect the computer from the Internet for long enough to erase that site from the browser history.

It's possible but unlikely that this issue is caused by adware; if so, download and runMalwareBytes for Mac. It isn't caused by a virus in any case.

Not having any antivirus software on your computer isn't a problem unless you're running Windows on it or frequently exchange files with people using Windows.

(131571)

Red Screen Virus, Adware or Malware Help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.