Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to save a rotated MP4 so it will play the right way in Windows Media Player without recompressing it?

I've got a bunch of MP4 files that someone shot with a phone in profile. They play correctly in QuickTime, but I need then to play correctly in Window Media Player, as it (and thus PowerPoint) doesn't recognize the tag. I'd rather not export the files from QuickTime Pro and have to recompress them since they're already not very high res. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks.

Posted on Aug 10, 2015 2:15 PM

3 replies

Aug 12, 2015 9:56 AM in response to xavierxiii

Hi xavierxiii,

If you are having issues with the orientation of the clips when played in Windows Media Player, you may want to try rotating and saving the clips in QuickTime Player first, as noted in these articles:

QuickTime Player 10.x: Rotate or flip a movie clip

Mac Basics: QuickTime Player creates, plays, edits, and shares video and audio files - Apple Support

Cheers

Aug 12, 2015 2:30 PM in response to xavierxiii

Hi xavierxiii,

Sorry about that; I was hoping that the re-saving might render the rotation tag in such a way that WMP would recognize it. If you have a copy of iMovie '11, you may want to try bringing the video into a project, then exporting it back out as MP4; this should hopefully minimize any degradation.

iMovie '11: Customize your QuickTime export with expert settings

Regards

Is it possible to save a rotated MP4 so it will play the right way in Windows Media Player without recompressing it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.