Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro RAID drive 4 disappears

I have a Mac Pro RAID card in my Mid-2010 Mac Pro. It's worked flawlessly for years, but recently I had a serious slowdown problem and drives were disappearing, so I bit the bullet, bought four new drives, replaced them all, rebuilt the RAID and restored from backup. This worked fine for about 3 days, then I needed to reboot, and when the computer came back up from the reboot, the drive in Bay 4 was gone. I could not see it in any utility. I tried powering down and reseating it repeatedly but no matter what I did the computer could not see it. Figuring it had to be a fluke failure of a new drive, I obtained a spare and replaced it. The computer came up and recognized the new drive, so I added it to the RAID and waited the nearly WEEK it takes to rebuild, which finished two days ago, then today I need to reboot, and when the computer came back up, the drive in Bay 4 is gone AGAIN.

This RAID card has a relatively new battery that tests good. It is operating fine other than this bizarre issue. Any ideas?

Thanks,

H.

Mac Pro (Mid 2010), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 16G RAM, Mac Pro RAID card in 0+1

Posted on Aug 10, 2015 3:56 PM

6 replies

Nov 28, 2015 8:54 AM in response to hoppah

Am I putting this query in the wrong place? This issue hasn't changed - if I do a power-down of the system, when it comes back up, Drive #4 is "roaming" and is marked as belonging to a different RAID set. I have to mark it as a global spare and wait four or more days for a rebuild. If I just do a restart, this does not happen. It's 100% consistent. I note others have had this issue:

Re: RAID won't rebuild

but I don't see a solution for it, only the workaround of remarking the drive and allowing the rebuild, every time the system has been powered down.

Help?

Thanks,

H.

Mac Pro RAID drive 4 disappears

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.