Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I upgrade protected iTunes songs to iTunes Plus without iTunes Match?

Hi! I would like to convert my older protected songs purchased in the iTunes Store to iTunes Plus versions, but I do not currently subscribe to iTunes Match (nor am I interested in subscribing). I remember that back when iTunes Plus songs were initially offered, there was a way in the iTunes Store to convert protected AAC songs to iTunes Plus for $0.30 per song, but I do not see that option any more. Is there a way to perform that same paid conversion that was available previously? For reference, I am currently running iTunes 12.2.1.16 for Windows, 64 bit version. Thanks!

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.4, iTunes 12.2.1.16

Posted on Aug 10, 2015 9:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2015 9:13 PM

I believe the instructions in the bottom half of this article will help you to achieve what you are wanting to do. What you are doing, in essence, is deleting your "old" version of the song, and downloading it again from iTunes, at which point it will be the upgraded version. No additional cost:

About iTunes Plus - Apple Support

Cheers,

GB

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 10, 2015 9:13 PM in response to jose3rd

I believe the instructions in the bottom half of this article will help you to achieve what you are wanting to do. What you are doing, in essence, is deleting your "old" version of the song, and downloading it again from iTunes, at which point it will be the upgraded version. No additional cost:

About iTunes Plus - Apple Support

Cheers,

GB

Aug 10, 2015 10:32 PM in response to gail from maine

Hi, Gail - thanks for your reply. 🙂 I actually performed the steps in that article before I opened my Support query, but unfortunately what I found was that what got downloaded from the iTunes Store after I deleted the original from my library was the exact same file that I had previously. It was a 128 kbps protected AAC audio file just like what I had deleted. Based on that (and on what I read in the top half of the article), I think it will only download an iTunes Plus version of the file using this technique if you are a subscriber of iTunes Match.

Aug 11, 2015 7:09 AM in response to jose3rd

You are correct it will only re-download your original version. There was a way to pay a small difference in cost and upgrade to Plus but Apple discontinued that several years ago. Now the only way is to subscribe to iTunes Match for a year.

If this is simply to negate the inconvenience of protection on the files don't forget you can burn protected files to an audio format CD which will behave as any other CD (though still of lower audio quality from the 128k original).

Aug 11, 2015 10:40 PM in response to gail from maine

Many thanks, Limnos and Gail. 🙂 I'm disappointed that Apple doesn't offer another method to upgrade. I upgraded many of my songs at the time it was offered originally, but since I had well over 1200 purchased songs, it was financially impractical for me to upgrade all of them over the time period it was offered, even at 30 cents a song.

As for the interest in upgrading now, it's partially to remove the protection and partially to get the better quality sound that the 256 Kbps iTunes Plus songs offers. I could burn the songs to CD, it's true, but since I still have about 1000 songs that are protected, burning roughly 20 at a time is a little impractical, and of course, as you mentioned, you lose sound quality when you reimport the songs from the CD.

And as for why I don't want to use iTunes Match, I don't want to do that because, as I understand it, when you utilize it (and when I upgrade the protected songs to iTunes Plus), you lose the metadata that you might have set in your files when you replace them with Apple's. Is that correct, or is that a misconception on my part? I've spent a LOT of time curating my library and getting the metadata for my songs set the way I want it, and many of my smart playlists take advantage of those settings, and if possible I don't want to have to redo it. With an overall library of over 8000 tracks, that would be a real headache. 😉

Any other thoughts or suggestions about what I might be able to do to remedy this situation? Thanks in advance for any advice you might be able to provide.

Aug 12, 2015 9:36 AM in response to UGADog

UGADog wrote:

Hi Ed, The article you attached explains how to get better quality songs with Purchased songs, but what about matched? Do you know how to do that? I delete a song and then it downloads the same kbps. I thought it should download 256 kbps....

If you don't have Match it will download the same thing you originally bought.

If you have Match, it will download the matched copy, which is what the store is now selling: AAC/256.

Aug 12, 2015 11:51 AM in response to ed2345

Thanks for the advice, Ed. For me, though, I'll pass on the subscription. Updating the metadata is just too big a bullet to bite. 😉 I spent many, many hundreds of hours over the course of an entire decade of iTunes/iPod/iPhone use getting it perfected, and I don't want to go through that again for all my songs because I simply want to upgrade the quality for one-eighth of my collection. I'll explore alternatives - perhaps re-purchasing the same protected songs again from another album (why Apple also doesn't allow me to repurchase a song at full price from the same album I purchased the protected song from so I can get the iTunes Plus version is a mystery to me) or purchasing an MP3 from Amazon.

Aug 12, 2015 3:08 PM in response to jose3rd

jose3rd wrote:

Thanks for the advice, Ed. For me, though, I'll pass on the subscription. Updating the metadata is just too big a bullet to bite. 😉 I spent many, many hundreds of hours over the course of an entire decade of iTunes/iPod/iPhone use getting it perfected, and I don't want to go through that again for all my songs because I simply want to upgrade the quality for one-eighth of my collection. I'll explore alternatives - perhaps re-purchasing the same protected songs again from another album (why Apple also doesn't allow me to repurchase a song at full price from the same album I purchased the protected song from so I can get the iTunes Plus version is a mystery to me) or purchasing an MP3 from Amazon.

Jose,

If you get replacement tracks from new purchases at iTunes or Amazon, they will still have the non-updated metadata, as would the Match'd tracks. And for 900 protected tracks, Match is a heck of a lot cheaper. I still think Match is the best route in your situation, but it is up to you of course.

Aug 12, 2015 7:36 PM in response to ed2345

Ed,

You're correct about the cost in dollars, but I'm more worried about the cost in time. If I understand Match correctly, it will try to match all of my library (not just the protected tracks) with Apple equivalents, and so for the other ~7000 or so non-protected tracks in my library I will also have to correct the metadata for them and the time to do that will be tremendous. If I replace the protected tracks via newly purchased-copies, I can replace them at my pace (and at a rate my pocketbook can sustain) and I only have to replace the metadata for those tracks, not the rest. I can see the advantages of iTunes Match, but I don't think it's a good fit for me. I do appreciate the feedback, though. 🙂

Aug 13, 2015 9:01 PM in response to ed2345

Ahhh... so perhaps I misunderstood what the Match service is doing. So when you do your initial signup it simply finds a match for all your tracks (or as many as it can) and makes them available for you to replace in your library? And it doesn't touch anything in your library until you delete the file in your library and download the match from the cloud? If both of those questions are answered with a "Yes", then iTunes Match definitely sounds like a better way to go.

Thanks, Ed!

Aug 14, 2015 2:05 PM in response to jose3rd

jose3rd wrote:

Ahhh... so perhaps I misunderstood what the Match service is doing. So when you do your initial signup it simply finds a match for all your tracks (or as many as it can) and makes them available for you to replace in your library? And it doesn't touch anything in your library until you delete the file in your library and download the match from the cloud? If both of those questions are answered with a "Yes", then iTunes Match definitely sounds like a better way to go.

Thanks, Ed!

Yes to both questions. You can upgrade one track at a time, at your own pace.

As noted in the previously linked document:

User uploaded file

Before you start, do the following:

• Make a complete backup copy of your library
  • Turn off any preferences that let iTunes mess with your library, such as this little gem:

User uploaded file

Do not sign up for Apple Music.

Then you will be all positioned to upgrade your tracks for $25 (plus any additional for tracks that don't match) instead of $900. 🙂

How can I upgrade protected iTunes songs to iTunes Plus without iTunes Match?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.