Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Profile Manager: Settings for new device group failed

Hi all, I've taken the plunge and am trying to attempt to use Profile Manager instead of WGM on OS X 10.10 Server. The server app is v.4.1.3. Everything is up to date. I reset the server app completely yesterday in an attempt to start from scratch. In my earlier attempts with Profile Manager everything got stuck at "Pending".

I'm working on a .local domain, managing a small school Mac network of 20 clients. I have the clients enrolled manually via My Devices and they appear within Profile Manager. Earlier I created a Device Group, keeping all items from our Mac suite, and applied some simple payloads such as build number/welcome message at log in screen etc. and energy saving settings. For some reason I am able to Update Info on devices but any time something get's pushed out the new settings sit in Active Tasks for a while before giving a Failed status. Sometimes I can get the settings to apply to client machines, if I unbind them/rejoin the local network, log in/out a few times, restart and cross my fingers. The weird thing is I can remove settings fine.

Would any of you be able to help me out? Firstly I'd like to know when exactly these settings apply to the client machines? Is it instantly? Is it on log in or log out? Secondly why would the packages fail? I looked into the server logs but can't understand any of it.

Messages-OTHER, OS X Server

Posted on Aug 11, 2015 4:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 11, 2015 6:40 AM

I'm working on a .local domain

That TLD is reserved for multicast DNS and will not work as a unicast domain. Profile Manager won't work either.

OS X Server: Resolving issues with Profile Manager - Apple Support

12 replies

Aug 17, 2015 4:50 AM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks Linc. I've set it up as mia.lhs.private and everything (DNS, DHCP etc.) seems to be configured correctly. For some reason when I attempt to add a client to the server it just brings up the error message "Unable to add server. Host not found (9007)". Ive checked out the forum, followed this posts instructions: unable to add server host not found 9007 but the message still appears.

Any ideas on the best way to troubleshoot?

Aug 18, 2015 6:12 AM in response to limavadyhigh

Many Open Directory problems can be resolved by taking the following steps. Test after each one, and back up all data before making any changes.

1. The OD master must have a static IP address on the local network, not a dynamic address. It must not be connected to the same network with more than one interface; e.g., Ethernet and Wi-Fi.

2. You must have a working DNS service, and the server's hostname must match its fully-qualified domain name. To confirm, select the server by name in the sidebar of the Server application window, then select the Overview tab. Click the Edit button on the Host Name line. On the Accessing your Server sheet, Domain Name should be selected. Change the Host Name, if necessary. The server must have at least a three-level name (e.g. "server.yourdomain.com"), and the name must not be in the ".local" top-level domain, which is reserved for Bonjour.

3. The primary DNS server used by the server must be itself, unless you're using another server for internal DNS. The only DNS server set on the clients should be the internal one, which they should get from DHCP if applicable.

4. If you have accounts with network home directories, make sure the URL's are correct in the user settings. A return status of 45 from the authorizationhost daemon in the log may mean that the URL for mounting the home directory was not updated after a change in the hostname. If the server and clients are all running OS X 10.10 or later, directories should be shared with SMB rather than AFP.

5. Follow these instructions to rebuild the Kerberos configuration on the server.

6. If you use authenticated binding, check the validity of the master's certificate. The common name must match the hostname and domain name. Deselecting and then reselecting the certificate in Server.app has been reported to have an effect in some cases. Otherwise delete all certificates and create new ones.

In the case of a self-signed certificate, create a trust profile in Profile Manager and deploy it on the clients.

7. Unbind and then rebind the clients in the Users & Groups preference pane. Use the fully-qualified domain name of the master.

8. Reboot the master and the clients.

9. Don't log in to the server with a network user's account.

10. Disable any internal firewalls in use, including third-party "security" software.

11. If you've created any replica servers, delete them.

12. If OD has only recently stopped working when it was working before, you may be able to restore it from the automatic backup in /var/db/backups, or from a Time Machine snapshot of that backup.

13. If there are slapd errors in the log, try the following steps.

Turn off Open Directory in the Server app.

Enter in a shell:

cd /var/db/openldap

sudo -s

db_recover -c -h authdata

db_recover -c -h openldap-data

Turn Open Directory back on.

14. Reset the password policy database:

sudo pwpolicy -clearaccountpolicies

15. As a last resort, export all OD users. In the Open Directory pane of Server, delete the OD server. In some cases, you may have to use the shell to delete the server. Then recreate it and import the users. Ensure that the UID's are in the 1001+ range.

Aug 19, 2015 8:07 AM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks again Linc, your assistance has been invaluable. Probably like a lot of people in this forum I wish I could know a fraction of what you know about Macs - you really are an asset on here. One final head frying question, if you don't mind, then I promise to leave you alone. I've followed the steps you provided. Everything seems to be working properly but when I enable Messages or Websites the URL is mia-limavadyhigh-private.local instead of mia.limavadyhigh.private. In Profile Manager the status is active and shows it's accessible via mia.limavadyhigh.private however Safari just tells me it cannot find the server. PM is accessible via the .local URL mentioned above. Would that be a DNS issue? Should I just nuke the server settings and start again?

Aug 20, 2015 1:21 AM in response to Linc Davis

Hi Linc. From what I can gather DNS is set up correctly. I typed dig -x IPADDRESS into Terminal and got this response:

mia:~ administrator$ dig -x 10.63.200.2

; <<>> DiG 9.8.3-P1 <<>> -x 10.63.200.2

;; global options: +cmd

;; Got answer:

;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 58026

;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; QUESTION SECTION:

;2.200.63.10.in-addr.arpa. IN PTR

;; ANSWER SECTION:

2.200.63.10.in-addr.arpa. 10800 IN PTR mia.limavadyhighschool.private.

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:

2.200.63.10.in-addr.arpa. 10800 IN NS mia.limavadyhighschool.private.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:

mia.limavadyhighschool.private. 10800 IN A 10.63.200.2

;; Query time: 32 msec

;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1)

;; WHEN: Thu Aug 20 09:10:07 2015

;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 116

But when I attempt to lookup the IP address (or server name) from Network Utility it just brings up the following:

Lookup has started…

10.63.200.2 -> The operation couldn’t be completed. (kCFErrorDomainCFNetwork error 2.)

Finally when I type sudo changeip -checkhostname into Terminal I get dirserv:success = "success".

Would I need to add additional records in the DNS area?

Aug 21, 2015 8:22 AM in response to Linc Davis

Hi again Linc, all data was backed up onTime Machine. I've done a clean install of OS X 10.10.5 and Server 4.1.5. It's taken most of the day. I moved over all the important folders (shared items etc.) and set everything up again. Configuring Server was pretty easy, followed all your instructions. Here's answers to the steps you suggested...

1. The OD master has a static IP, with only one active interface.

2. DNS, to the best of my knowledge, is working properly. All terminal commands, as featured in one of my posts above, seem to suggest this.

3. The primary DNS is set to the server itself.

4. I've blinded a client to the server, it's accepted an unauthenticated bind. For some reason it doesn't bring up the authenticated username/password field. I created network accounts - they log in fine.

5. Didn't rebuild Kerberos on the server, because it was set up from scratch again. Do you think I need to?

6. For whatever reason it won't do an authenticated bind with the server. Hostname and domain name are correct. Certificates are up to date and self signed.

7. I've used the fully-qualified domain to bind.

8. I've rebooted several times.

9. Server has a local administrator account only.

10. OSX Firewall is active. Should I maybe disable it?

11. No server replicas.

12. I've crated a brand new OD.

13. Couln't see any slapd errors.Turn Open Directory back on.

I'm still unable to access Profile Manager after activation. It brings up that it's enabled at the domain mia.limavadyhighschool.private but is only accessible via mia-limavadyhighschool-private.local. Any attempt to access it via the fully qualified private domain brings up the following in Safari:

Unknown Host

Description: Unable to locate the server named "mia.limavadyhighschool.private" --- the server does not have a DNS entry. Perhaps there is a misspelling in the server name, or the server no longer exists. Double-check the name and try again.

I can't understand how it doesn't have a DNS entry considering Terminal brings back the thumbs up for all entries. I tested all commands mentioned previously.

Enabling Messages and Websites brings up the Status as "enabled" as long as it's via mia-limavadyhighschool-private.local.

Any ideas? It's probably something incredibly simple. The most important parts are authenticated binding and getting Profile Manager accessible via the proper domain.

Thanks again for all your help!

UPDATE: I've got Profile Manager working. Finally figured out how to access it in Safari. I needed to add the *.private extension to our school proxy details! Phew! Any suggestions on how to get websites/messages working properly without the .local domain requirement?

Profile Manager: Settings for new device group failed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.