Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I move a photo within an album? Clicking and dragging does not work.

In Photos in Yosemite I need to rearrange the photos within an album. Clicking and dragging moves the photos, but then they do not stay put. They just snap back to the original place. Obviously this is a bug, but are there work-arounds? Any suggestions?

Norris

MacBook Pro (17-inch Early 2011), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 11, 2015 8:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 11, 2015 8:28 PM

Dragging the photos around to rearrange them will work in a standard album, but is not supported in a smart album or in a Shared album. Which kind of album are you trying to arrange?

In a standard album make sure that the option "View > Keep Sorted By Date" is not active. It should be disabled automatically, when you manually drag the photos around, but sometimes it will stick.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 11, 2015 8:28 PM in response to Norris

Dragging the photos around to rearrange them will work in a standard album, but is not supported in a smart album or in a Shared album. Which kind of album are you trying to arrange?

In a standard album make sure that the option "View > Keep Sorted By Date" is not active. It should be disabled automatically, when you manually drag the photos around, but sometimes it will stick.

Aug 12, 2015 4:51 AM in response to Norris

Norris wrote:

Thank you Léonie! I am very grateful! It was a smart album -- based on keywords. I even found a way -- via the plus sign -- to move the images from my smart album to the new standard one.

But is there any way to control the arrangement of the thumbnails in a smart album?

Thanks again!

Norris

a Smart album is always sorted by the capture date. The next version of pPhotos will have more options for sorting. I'd wait with any major reorganization of the library for the next version.

Aug 12, 2015 8:40 AM in response to léonie

Oh, I see. I can make the images 1 minute apart on the same date -- although i'm having trouble with the year, which, it seems, you cannot just type in. I suppose the year 2 would work. But I cannot adjust the title, or rather the second line of the title (between where it says title and the date and time. When I highlight the line and hit delete, the whole image goes away. Is that line just permanent? I typed in too much to begin with.

Thanks for all your excellent help!

Norris

Aug 12, 2015 9:01 AM in response to Norris

although i'm having trouble with the year, which, it seems, you cannot just type in.

Enter the year first - you have to be quick when you enter the year and must not hesitate after entering the first digits.

But I cannot adjust the title, or rather the second line of the title (between where it says title and the date and time.

The title goes into the first line of the Info panel, where it says title. The second line in the Info panel is the filename. You cannot edit the filename.

User uploaded file

You could also type the title directly into the textfield below the thumbnail. User uploaded file

Aug 12, 2015 9:11 AM in response to Norris

I posted an Apple Script in th User Tip section to help with batch changing the date and time of scans.

See: Photos for Mac: Batch Change the Date and Time to a Fixed Date

(Try the version 2 on that page)

If you arrange the photos in a top level album, so they are sorted like you want them, the script will change the date and time of all photos, so that the dates of successive photos will be incremented by a fixed increment in minutes.

How do I move a photo within an album? Clicking and dragging does not work.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.