Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After Yosemite download, camera does not work

I bought my Macbook Pro Spring of 2013, it was made Mid 2012. It's version 10.10.3 right now

I think I had Mountain Lion when I first bought my MacBook. Everything was working fine. Then I upgraded to Yosemite and now my camera, or iSight, does not work with any app that uses the webcam/camera (PhotoBooth, FaceTime, Skype, etc). I ran out of warranty too. Is there a way that I can restore my camera without losing anything? I've set up my iCloud, but it won't upload everything.

I've tried reinstalling Lion, but I never had Lion to begin with. I just don't want to lose my data. Thank you in advance Apple community!

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), null

Posted on Aug 11, 2015 8:05 PM

6 replies

Aug 12, 2015 9:00 AM in response to imaguest

imaguest wrote: ... my Macbook Pro... version 10.10.3 ...

Your 10.10.3 is out of date. The current version of Yosemite is 10.10.4.

If you don't have a proven update method, I suggest use the following workflow to update your Mac OS without losing data:

• Restart your Mac.

• Then use your Mac's Disk Utility to repair permissions.

• Now download and apply the latest OS X Combo Update (currently 10.10.4).

• Repair permissions again immediately following the system restart that completes the Combo update.

imaguest wrote: ... I just don't want to lose my data...

Backup your Mac to keep your data safe.

Backup options for OS X Yosemite

• Time Machine - Learn how to backup your Mac using Time Machine.
  • Time Capsule - Learn more about backing up your data using Time Capsule.
  • iCloud - Use iCloud to backup your music, photos, calendars, etc.
  • Backup options - Learn about alternative options for backing up your Mac.

imaguest wrote: ... Macbook Pro ... version 10.10.3...Is there a way that I can restore my camera without losing anything? ...

One of these will fix your camera problem:

(1) If restarting your Mac doesn't fix the problem,

(2) use Apple's http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2090.

(BTW - The Troubleshooting article calls the camera an "iSight". However, after the article was published, Apple has changed the built-in camera's name on newer Macs from "iSight" to "FaceTime" and then to "FaceTime HD." Regardless of the name of your built-in camera, the same info and troubleshooting applies.)

Be sure to test more than one Apple app (examples: iMovie, Photo Booth, QuickTime Player, etc.) in more than one user account. Do NOT use the "Guest" account for this test. If you do not have more than one user account for the testing, create a new one now. If you need help, how to do it is explained in http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201754.

A "Standard" user account is all you need for testing.

(3) If your cam won't work properly even with Apple apps, use OS X Recovery to completely reinstall your Mac OS. Don't bother testing Skype or other third-party apps until you have your camera working with Apple apps.

None of the above suggestions will "lose" anything on your Mac if you follow the suggested processes.

(4) If none of the above suggestions resolve your trouble, contact Apple or an Apple-Authorized Service Provider to have your Mac professionally serviced.

You are not in control of what may be "lost" by the servicing technician(s). http://www.apple.com/support/backup/

Backup your Mac before sending it for service !

Message was edited by: EZ Jim

Mac OSX 10.10.4

Aug 12, 2015 4:14 PM in response to EZ Jim

Okay EZ Jim.

I may just have to go to get my Mac serviced because nothing worked except for the update lol

I went to repair the permissions on my disk, however, there where no faults under the Machintosh HD option and OS X Base System option.

I don't have an external hard drive, so I went ahead and ordered one today after reading your response to me, so I'll have one early next week. So now I'm not worried about my data anymore, thanks 😀

Under "System Information" I went to camera under the Hardware section and the error message read: "No video capture devices were found".

Last, I tried resetting the SMC and that did not good either. Or I wasn't doing it right, but I did it three times. I did a cold shut down (all apps were closed). Then I waited one minute with the power unplugged from the notebook. Then I plugged in the power and the LED light went from Green to Amber. I waited another minute. Then I did the command, "shift+control+option+power button" all at the same time for 10 secs, then I released all at once. The LED went from Amber to Green, then back to Amber shortly after. I did a hot power up of my Mac and I was quickly sent to my log in, and I tried apps that used iSight and no camera is still connected/detected. After three tries. 😟

So in conclusion, failure. But I will contact an Apple-Authorized service provider.

Thank you for the help, I learned so much about my Mac and troubleshooting it. I've never had a problem with it up until now, I'm used to troubleshooting Windows lol hahaha

Aug 13, 2015 9:43 AM in response to imaguest

You're most welcome, imaguest.

imaguest wrote: ... EZ Jim ...get my Mac serviced ... external hard drive... ordered ...

Well done!

When your service is complete, ask the Technician to show you your working camera before you pay so you KNOW it is fixed.

Then please post back and let us know what it took to get your Mac working. Your info may help another reader who is has the same problem in the future.

Cheers,

EZ Jim

Message was edited by: EZ Jim

Mac OSX 10.10.4

After Yosemite download, camera does not work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.