Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro 1.1 lion upgrading from vista boot camp to windows 7 32bit

II've been trying to find if its possible to upgrade my boot camp Vista to windows 7 32bit as Vista will be next to be dropped.

Love m 2006-2007 Mac Pro 1.1 and was disappointed Lion and Vista was as far as it can go. Aside from workarounds attempts to get 7 installed or taking it beyond Lion I damaged my Vista running on a separate SSD (solid state disk ) I have a failing original super drive that front mount dvd disks.

I removed the Lion SSD (solid state disk ) and installed Snow Leopard on a hdd.

Oddly enough I left it alone one of the reboots to have a sandwich when I returned the Vista disk mounted. I was able to reinstall like I originally did back when vista first came out. Don't know why but I got it into my head to try again with a refurb Windows 7 32bit DVD I got from Amazon. Didn't mount through original super drive but when I inserted the disk in the LG slim bluray external drive booted into Vista and the disk mounted and the prompt for installation. I figured I'd give it another try.

Upgrading ding didn't work but installing over vista seems to be working. It rebooted after the first round. It got further along and continued with more installation. Rebooted a third and I can see the Windows 7 splash screen do its thing.

It seems to have work.

NOw now my problem is ill need an activation code and I don't see one with the packaging or DVD.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5), 2SSD2HDD 11GbRAM ATI Rad HD5770

Posted on Aug 11, 2015 11:17 PM

3 replies

Aug 12, 2015 12:20 AM in response to Kappy

My apologies to all. No just excited to see I found a way to install Windows 7 on my old trusty Mac Pro 1.1 and wanted to share for those in similar situations.

Now for a real questions. I installed the drivers from the Snow Leopard for Windows 7 which seems to work just fine. Should I try updating to the ones from Lion or leave things well enough alone since it's working so well?

Both Lion and Windows 7 are on separate SSD.

Mac Pro 1.1 lion upgrading from vista boot camp to windows 7 32bit

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.