Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cant update to 10.5.8

Hi everyone. I bought an ibook mid-2005 G4 andd installed 10.5.4. i cannot update to 10.5.8!!! ive tried the software updater and selected only the 10.5.8 update opting to install the other updates one at a time. ive tried downloading and installing the standalone 10.5.8 combo V1.1. each and everytime the ibook goes to restart, starts insatlling and hangs at "configuring installation". ive left it overnight even. what gives. ive reset the pran, nvram, power management, verified permisiions, repaired permissions, verified disk. all to no avail.

Also the ibook would charge fully and stay on battery for a long time. now, when it reaches 100% i unplug it and it runs on battery for a few minutes then WHAMMMM, dies completely.

thanks in advance. Ive been a windows user since my first Pc in 1998. Ive made the switch to MAC and aint going back.

iBook, Other OS, waiting on parts to install 10.5.8

Posted on Aug 11, 2015 7:49 PM

5 replies

Aug 12, 2015 9:50 AM in response to bronxguitar

Could be many things, we should start with this...

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at bootup), run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, then highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions, reboot when it completes.

(Safe boot may stay on the gray radian for a long time, let it go, it's trying to repair the Hard Drive & clear caches.)

try updating in Safe Mode.

How much RAM & Free Disk space does it have?

Open console in Applications>Utilities, check the system log for the date/time of the last problem & the Startup right after that for clues.

Click on the top line we want, Shift plus click on the bottom line we want, CMD+c to copy, then paste the text in a reply with CMD+v

A few dozen lines should be about right, hundreds or thousands won't likely be readable.

cant update to 10.5.8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.