Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS X Yosemite cannot be installed- says "this disk used for TimeMachine backups"

OS X Yosemite cannot be installed- says "this disk used for TimeMachine backups," why does this matter and how do I fix it? Honestly, I don't know how that occured on this drive anyway as I used a separate, external drive for TimeMachine and don't know how the internal one ever would have got setup that way. It shouldn't be a system requirements issue but, in case the details are relevant, this is a mid-2010 Macbook Pro, 2.4 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 500GB hard drive I'm using with OS Mavericks (10.9.5) currently. Go easy on me with any tips as I'm not all that savvy here. Thanks in advance for any tips.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Aug 11, 2015 8:04 PM

2 replies

Aug 11, 2015 11:34 PM in response to csuflyer2005

It is the case that you cannot download and install Yosemite if there is evidence that the disk is being used by Time Machine.

Time machine will also give you a warning that it is not wise to use your source disc for backups. however if you are satisfied you do not need these backups

and have a backup on another external disc, you can delete the Backups.backupdb file that is on your source/ internal disc.

Once that is done and you have emptied the Trash then you should be able to install Yosemite.

One other tip that is handy is to save the Yosemite installer file. Download Yosemite as normal from the App Store, once the download is complete you will get

a notification screen asking if you want to continue with the Installation. at this point don't press continue just yet, instead go to your Applications folder

and scroll down till you find Install Yosemite OS X.app, move/copy this file to somewhere else on the internal disc or to the external for safe keeping. Once that is complete you may continue with the install. When the install is complete the Yosemite install .app is deleted from the Applications file, so having a copy kept safe is good to have if you need to reinstall otherwise you will need to download again or use the Internet recovery which takes ages.

make sure you have the latest version of iPhoto installed (9.6.1) before you install (Yosemite installs Photos App and will cause you to think iPhoto is no longer available but you can get it back, check with the iPhoto forums on how to get it back, its relatively easy. Also useful to check if any third party apps you are using

will be compatible with Yosemite, check with the apps developers.

Yosemite looks and feels very different, so be patient as it all works out, use these forums to ask questions, after all in two months time we will

have El Capitan 10.11 to download.

OS X Yosemite cannot be installed- says "this disk used for TimeMachine backups"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.