Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV playback or AirPlay stops randomly

My Apple TV stops randomly during playback of any video, e.g. YouTube, Netflix or even when using AirPlay. Also this happens with iTunes Match music.

For example on Netflix when watching a film, randomly the video will stop and Accessing Netflix will appear and then the film selection will load. This happens when the video appears to be running at 1080p, so doesn't seem to be caused by a drop in speed.

My internet is pretty fast, 150Mbps fibre optic. No other device, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6, Xbox Ome, Sony TV, iPad mini 3 etc etc has any issues.

i've tried the following to resolve the issue:

1. Restart
  2. Reset all settings
  3. Restore
  4. Restore using iTunes and mini USB
  5. Use non GHZ Wi-Fi
  6. Use 5GHz Wi-Fi
  7. Use Ethernet

This all seems to have stemmed from around iOS 7 and has gotten worse with iOS 8, to the point I barely use the Apple TV.

Here are details of the model and OS:

• Apple TV Software: 7.2
  • Model: A1427 (MD19LL/A)
  • OS Build Version: 8.3 (1/F69)

Is there anything I can do to resolve this?

AppleTV 2, iOS 8.3

Posted on Aug 11, 2015 11:40 PM

8 replies

Aug 12, 2015 3:11 AM in response to Kerracher

Intermittent problems are often a result of interference. Interference can be caused by other networks in the neighbourhood or from household electrical items.

You can download and install iStumbler (NetStumbler for windows users) to help you see which channels are used by neighbouring networks so that you can avoid them, but iStumbler will not see household items.

Refer to your router manual for instructions on changing your wifi channel or adjusting your multicast rate.

There are other types of problems that can affect networks, but this is by far the most common, hence worth mentioning first. Networks that have inherent issues can be seen to work differently with different versions of the same software. You might also try moving the Apple TV away from other electrical equipment.

The following article(s) may help you.

Troubleshooting Wi-Fi networks and connections

Recommended Wi-Fi settings

Sources of Interference

Wifi Diagnostic Software (for Mac users)

You may also find some help on this page, where I’ve collected some of the more unusual solutions to network issues.

Apple TV playback or AirPlay stops randomly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.