Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I back up to time machine from start up disk

Hi,

There's an error on my hard drive and need to reformat the drive and reinstall snow leopard. I need to back up recent work on my either time machine drive or another drive.

I have started up using the install disk and my time machine drive is recognised. What should I do now?

Thanks

Posted on Aug 12, 2015 3:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 12, 2015 7:41 AM

If you can boot normally do so and run Time Machine. If you can't, try using Disk Utility/Restore to copy the backup to a new location. Please note that this will reformat the destination partition.

3 replies

Aug 12, 2015 10:10 AM in response to Eric Root

Hi thanks for the help 🙂

The mac is not booting normally, just from disk. What I should do is extract certain files made since I last backed it up two weeks ago. I have another mac and other hard drives. I can attach drives and I guess a network cable so I suppose my question is How do I access the laptop hard drive to find the files from the last two weeks to export? I would then run a restore from time machine and re-import the recent files.

Any links or suggestions for network shortcuts and key commands all useful

Thanks

Can I back up to time machine from start up disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.