Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 5s frozen, WHY DO I PAY FOR APPLE MISTAKE

I bought iphone 5s in march 2014 (17months back) and now it stopped working all of a sudden without any reason. Had been to your authorised service centre unicorn in mumbai but they said its a hardware issue and i have to pay 19k for replacement of new iphone5s but new phone5s will have only 3 months warranty.

Now my question is :

Hardware issue is not because of me. apple have manufactured a phone / hardware which could not sustain for 17 months. then why should i pay for your mistake??

Why apple giving only 3 months warranty for new iphone 5s replacement even if i pay 19k for it?? why not 1 year for new iphone 5s??? is it not a new phone then???

My suggestion is please let us(your buyers) know the lifespan of your phones. so that we will be clear 60k is for 12 months or maximum by 17 months.

APPLE *****. IPHONES *****.

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.4

Posted on Aug 12, 2015 5:58 AM

18 replies

Aug 12, 2015 6:12 AM in response to gireesh36

First, you are not speaking to Apple on these Communities, we are all fellow users like yourself, Apple does not participate, they only provide the site for our use.

Second, all products whether Apple or Ford or Chevrolet or BMW will have a failure rate. Some fail early, some go on forever. When a company makes 42,000,000 iPhones it is normal to have some that will fail in a year and a half. The hard part is when you are the individual for whom that happens rather than someone else. No company can give a lifetime warranty, every product will have some form of limitation on its warranty. Apple makes their warranties all one-year so they are standardized.

Third, a replacement iOS device can be a new device or a refurbished device at Apple's discretion and hardware availability. The warranty on a replacement device is either the term remaining on the old device or three-months, whichever is longer. So, since your iPhone is out of warranty, you are getting the three-month period.

Apple has made all of this very clear in the terms of the warranty given with each device, all of this is spelled out in that information.

Aug 12, 2015 7:05 AM in response to Ralph Landry1

Ralph,

First of all i am not asking for lifetime warranty. Secondly apple should have some facility for the failures rates. as you say they are making 42,000,000 iphone should think about or make provisions for such failures.

All i get from your communication is that apple is not responsible for this.

Ralph, i had many choices for 60k in india. Since its a premium phone i thought it will be exceptionally well. But my bad.

paying almost half of the amount to fix the hardware eroors and that is too again for 3 months makes no sense to me.

Aug 12, 2015 7:49 AM in response to gireesh36

1. Nobody can predict with precision the lifespan of any solid state device. There are folks still happily using their original iPhones. There are folks happily driving 20 year old cars - lots of things prove useful and viable long after they are out of warranty.

2. Every manufacturer's warranty is arbitrarily set to a default time period, in this case one year. It actually has nothing to do with expected or predicted lifespan, aa no warranty does. They all end at some arbitrary time point. It's typically a decision made by business executives and accountants, not engineers.

3. Apple does offer an extended warranty, which you purchase separately if you wish to. You could have paid for additional coverage had you wanted it.

4. Your out of warranty replacement will not be a new phone, it will be a refurbished device. So it does not come with a new device warranty, it comes with a refurbished device warranty, which again is arbitrarily set at 90 days.

5. You could also have paid for a third party unconditional insurance policy if you had wished to pay out for such a thing.

Aug 12, 2015 10:00 AM in response to gireesh36

gireesh36 wrote:

you will get to know when you face the same problem. Premium does not mean you handover a phone which is not even equal to ordinary phone with such high premium cost. It should have some value and ethics.

Yes, the replacement phone would be the exact equal to the phone you already have. In fact, warranty replacement phones go through more testing than a phone just off the production line. I've had both iPods and iPads replaced under warranty. The replacement unit was indistinguishable from new. The iPad 3 replacement unit is continuing to run beautifully over a year later.

Aug 12, 2015 11:57 AM in response to gireesh36

No. Apple's extended warranty is only available on new purchases, not on service replacement units.

In my own personal experience, I never purchase extended warranties on anything anymore (have done so a few times in years past). Not electronics, cars, nor anything else. They are great money makers for companies, and a huge overall negative expense for most consumers. Having simply paid out of pocket for those few times I've had to for things out of warranty has been far less expensive for me than paying all those extended warranty premiums for things that never would have had a claim anyway. The reality is that most of today's consumer electronics (and cars for that matter) made by major manufacturers's are amongst the most reliable consumer products, and even the most reliable products, period, ever made by humans. Yes some fail unexpctedly or prematurely, but the vast majority do not. Extended coverage is a gamble, and of course that means the odds are greatly in favor of the house (i.e. the ones offering the extended coverage know full well that most will never use it, so it's a cash cow for them).

Aug 23, 2015 5:27 AM in response to gireesh36

Hi all,

Need your suggestion,

Offlate, had been to apple authorised service center "Unicorn" for my previously mentioned iphone 5s issue. I paid Rs.19300 and handed over my phone,after they examining my phone condition for 15minutes. I was told by the service center guy that i would be getting a new phone in 3 days time. To reconfirm i asked him is it "refurbished phone" or "new phone" he confirmed its a brand new phone. When i questioned them how can they afford giving a brand new phone when it is sold for Rs.45k in their show room, Service center guy said am getting new phone at the service cost and not @ rack rate.

After 3 days i got a call from the service center and they told me that they cannot give me new phone because my old phone cannot be repaired. And they will arrange for refund of the money i paid within 2-3 days. Though i am ready to pay 19300, they are not servicing my phone or replacing it.

Let me know what to do?

Should i let go my phone after paying Rs55000. which lasted only for 17 months?

Or should i sue the service center for taking money of 19300 not replacing it? or should i take money back?

is there anything else i can do??

Please help suggest !!

Aug 23, 2015 5:39 AM in response to gireesh36

An iPhone that is ineligible for warranty service may be eligible for out-of-warranty (OOW) service. For example, an iPhone that has failed due to damage or liquid damage is ineligible for warranty service but eligible for OOW service. However, certain damage is ineligible for OOW service, including catastrophic damage, such as the device separating into multiple pieces, and inoperability caused by unauthorized modifications. Please see Apple's Repair Terms and Conditions for further details. Refer to this article to check if the Liquid Contact indicator on your product has been triggered.

Out-of-Warranty Service

Please contact an iPhone Authorized Service Provider for out-of-warranty service options.

This is the Apple guidance ,you should be eligible for an Out of Warranty exchange device which is offered where the iPhone is faulty but out of warranty period

Or if they still refuse call Apple in India

India
000800 1009009

Iphone 5s frozen, WHY DO I PAY FOR APPLE MISTAKE

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.