Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

delete photo on iPhone but keep in Photos

I have started using Apple's new Photos program and have everything backed up to the iCloud. My question is if I delete photos on my iPhone to free up space will they stay in the Photos app on my computer and the iCloud? When I do attempt to delete a photo it says "This photo will be deleted from iCloud Photo Library on all your devices." When I used to use iPhoto what I did on my iPhone didn't affect the photos in iPhoto if I had uploaded the photos prior to deleting them; is this the same for Photos?

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.4

Posted on Aug 12, 2015 10:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 12, 2015 10:43 AM

To me it looks like you enabled iCloud Photo Library in your Settings > Photo & Camera. With iCloud Photo Library enabled, your photos are not actually stored on your iPhone, they are stored in iCloud, and then deleting them on your iPhone or any device will delete them from iCloud and from all your devices that are using iCloud Photo Library. If you want to store your photos in iCloud, you can only save space by using the option "optimize storage". Then the iPhone will not download the full versions of the photos, but only smaller previews and save space. You would have to disable iCloud Photo Library to go back to the previous way you are used to.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 12, 2015 10:43 AM in response to torisow

To me it looks like you enabled iCloud Photo Library in your Settings > Photo & Camera. With iCloud Photo Library enabled, your photos are not actually stored on your iPhone, they are stored in iCloud, and then deleting them on your iPhone or any device will delete them from iCloud and from all your devices that are using iCloud Photo Library. If you want to store your photos in iCloud, you can only save space by using the option "optimize storage". Then the iPhone will not download the full versions of the photos, but only smaller previews and save space. You would have to disable iCloud Photo Library to go back to the previous way you are used to.

Aug 12, 2015 10:50 AM in response to torisow

You need to download them from iCloud.com to your Mac or else they will be deleted from everywhere if you delete them on any one device. You live by the cloud, and you can die by the cloud. Never trust your data and photos to cloud storage only. Just my 2¢.

iCloud Photo Library FAQ - Apple Support

Do I need a Backup?

iCloud Photo Library stores all of your original photos and videos in iCloud, but we always recommend you keep back up copies of your Library. You can download your photos and videos from iCloud to your computer and store them as a separate library, transfer them to your computer with iTunes, or store them on a separate drive.

Aug 12, 2015 11:04 AM in response to elcpu

Demo wrote:

You need to download them from iCloud.com to your Mac or else they will be deleted from everywhere if you delete them on any one device. You live by the cloud, and you can die by the cloud. Never trust your data and photos to cloud storage only. Just my 2¢.

I just want to add my own 2 cents, actually since I am not an expert like Demo, just my 1 cent worth, and endorse his comments. No doubt you will delete the photos everywhere as the warning message told you, that is why I posted my previous comments. Like Demo, I also don't trust cloud storage, no one's. It can be helpful (I use Dropbox and PhotoBucket) but then again it can fail leaving you without your precious pictures form the past. Best bet is to back up your photos to your Mac using Image Capture or the option of your choice and then back the Mac photos to an external HD or large flash drive. 256GB flash drives are not that expensive anymore. I may be redundant but I have mine backed up to a HD and a flash drive, and no I do not wear belts and suspenders at the same time.... 🙂

Aug 12, 2015 12:07 PM in response to Demo

Ha ha, thanks for your comment.... we need a little levity here from time to time. As to the Time Machine backup that is a great idea. I have a rMBP (typing on it right now) and use Time Machine but unfortunately my main iTunes Library, the one I sync my iPhone and iPad with, is on a PC. I dread the day I have to replace my PC as syncing with the new computer will wipe my devices as I understand it, unless I transfer my iTunes library from PC to PC first, not as easy as Mac to Mac.

As to SergZak's comment I used to see people with pocket protectors in the olds days but not anymore (I am an engineer, duhhh). Would love to borrow yours. 🙂

Aug 12, 2015 1:50 PM in response to torisow

Thank you for the quick responses. My concern isn't backing up my photos as I use Time Machine, 2 removable hard drives and Zenfolio to back up the photos. I'm more concerned with wanting them to stay in Photos to have my photos easily accessible without also keeping them on my iPhone because of space issues. With iPhoto as long as I synced my iPhone to my computer and downloaded my photos deleting them from my phone did not delete them from iPhoto.

Aug 12, 2015 2:11 PM in response to elcpu

elcpu wrote:

I dread the day I have to replace my PC as syncing with the new computer will wipe my devices as I understand it, unless I transfer my iTunes library from PC to PC first, not as easy as Mac to Mac.

Well, it's not that hard to move your iTunes library: iTunes: How to move your music to a new computer. You just have to move the iTunes Media folder to the new computer, either through a backup of it, copy to a thumb drive, over a network, etc. But if you have a Mac you can also move it to your Mac the same way, and not be concerned about PC to PC for the future.

As to SergZak's comment I used to see people with pocket protectors in the olds days but not anymore (I am an engineer, duhhh). Would love to borrow yours.

🙂

Pocket protectors were essential when you carried fountain pens or drafting pens.

User uploaded file

Aug 12, 2015 7:39 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Thanks, I had seen the Apple tutorial on moving the iTunes library and had bookmarked it. I have a rMBP (typing on it now) but I keep my main iTunes library on a Dell PC and that is how I sync my iPhone and iPad (my wife does the same with her identical devices). At sometime we will be buying new Dells with Windows 10 so we will have to migrate the iTunes libraries. Hope is as straight forward as you made it sound. 🙂

delete photo on iPhone but keep in Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.