Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows 10 can't connect to OS X server 10.10.3

Running OS X server 10.10.3 (will be updating to 10.10.4 and server 4.1.3 tonight after hours)

Open Directory working just fine.

Macs on the network all connecting

Windows 7 and win XP clients connecting fine

We have 3 windows 7 clients -- all have been able to connect for months without an issue to OS X server. I did have to do the security policy "tweaks" to get win7 to connect at first but they have been stable since first setup. Here is a link to the smb "tweaks" I have done in the past for windows 7 that have always worked just fine http://www.macwindows.com/OSXServer.html#050310c

The NEW Issue.

One of the windows 7 clients got upgraded to windows 10 and now it can not connect to the server using (the users) normal network account (OD). if I use the OS X server's Local administrator account from the win10 client it connects to the shaire without an issue. I created a new Local account for the user and that account can connect but word and excel say the files are read only. I have made sure the new local account is in all the groups on the server and even added the account with read and wright directly to the share point. T

o be clear the network accounts (OD) can not connect at all from windows 10 error is you do not have permission to access the server, but local accounts on the server connect to the network shares and allow files to be seen. Anyone have any ideas?

I have a feeling that security setting on the windows 10 client seeds to be lowered like the past tweaks I have done but win10 is so new maybe no one has really troubleshooter this issue.

If you have any questions just ask, will try an provide any info that is not clear.

Thanks Scott Seifert

Posted on Aug 12, 2015 10:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2017 8:25 AM

It may actually be because a security setting on the Windows client is set too low. Check your NTLM (LAN manager) setting. OS X blocks anything below level 3. You can change this in the local security policy (Secpol.msc) or edit the registry ( HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Lsa LMCompatibility level. Change the level to 3.

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 24, 2017 8:25 AM in response to Scott Seifert

It may actually be because a security setting on the Windows client is set too low. Check your NTLM (LAN manager) setting. OS X blocks anything below level 3. You can change this in the local security policy (Secpol.msc) or edit the registry ( HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Lsa LMCompatibility level. Change the level to 3.

Aug 27, 2015 2:26 PM in response to Scott Seifert

I found a fix for my problem machine. I think the Win 10 box in question had the tweaks Scott linked to set on a previous version of Windows and had been upgraded. By resetting Network Security: LAN Manager Authentication Level back to Send NTLMv2 response only I got the machine to authenticate with OD User Accounts successfully.

I've gone through it all on my blog.

I hope this might help some of you out there having the same troubles.

Sep 22, 2015 3:11 PM in response to Scott Seifert

This is great - thanks for the scoop.

However! When making these changes to the local security policy, these CONFLICT with the required changes I had to make to get a Windows 10 box connected to a VPN running on OS X Server.... as listed here:

OS X Server: How to connect to VPN service from Windows - Apple Support

A bit chicken and egg here. Not sure where to go with this now. This Windows 10 must be able to connect to the VPN to be able to then subsequently connect to that same server for file sharing.

Anyone have any insights?

Sep 22, 2015 3:37 PM in response to Peter Goldman1

I worked around this.

I didn't do any of the steps listed above to get the Win10 box connected via file sharing.

I changed the value of the the registry key LmCompatibilityLevel in HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\lsa which was set to "1"... to "3".

This doesn't conflict with the VPN settings.

Can now connect to the VPN and then file sharing A-OK.

Nov 25, 2015 6:46 AM in response to Scott Seifert

I'm experiencing exactly the same problem. There seem to be no difference between Windows 10 Home of Professional. I have tried to set the NTLMv2 response, but there is no difference. Local accounts can log in. OD users can't.

Curiously the passwordserver log gives a "Authentication succeeded" using the NTLMv2 method.

Has anyone find a solution to this problem?

Nov 26, 2015 12:22 PM in response to MaartenP

I have the same problem. I update two system from WIN 7 to WIN 10 (32bit) 4 weeks ago. EVerything's fine. Yesterday I updated another WIN 7 to WIN 10 but 64 bit. Now I have the problem described above:

Local users can log in, OD users not.

Strangely OD authentication is ok NTLMv2 fails. Tried LSA settings and security policies from above nothing helps.

Password server logs:

Nov 26 2015 21:14:16 488165us AUTH2: {0xf1fa9ae0bf2411e49910d49a20c270dc, SERVERNAME$} DIGEST-MD5 authentication succeeded.

Nov 26 2015 21:14:16 491236us GETNTLM2SESSKEY: requested

Nov 26 2015 21:14:16 517130us DoAuth: {0x72705b24bf5711e4895bd49a20c270dc, USERNAME} SMB-NTLMv2 authentication failed, SASL error -13 (password incorrect).

Dec 1, 2015 5:41 AM in response to Scott Seifert

I had the same problem here and I found out, that it might have to do with the workgroup or Windows domain. It seems, that you must enter this in Windows 10 together with the username. Since Windows 10 in my case instead of username (this worked fine in Windows 7) I had to use workgroup\username as username for Windows 10 clients. Then it worked immediately.

Hope, this helps.

Dec 13, 2015 1:47 PM in response to Tom Moreno

Hi Tom,

I think the post in your blog pointed into the right direction - setting NTLMv2 response only. But then, it still didn't work for me. So I tried to enter the username to connect to in the format \\WORKGROUP\username, and voilá! it worked now.

I use the El Capitan server offering shares via SMB to Windows machines running on Parallels Desktop. The one Win7 has been working the whole time OK, but now the new Windows 10 machine just didn't want to connect to my network shares on the Mac Server.

Thanks again for the hints given here!

Regards,

OJ.

Windows 10 can't connect to OS X server 10.10.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.