Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to install and boot from new Hard Drive in 2012 Mac Pro

I have two hard drives in my 2012 Mac Pro. One is 1TB and my new one is 6TB. I had no problem formatting the 6TB HD and now I would like to move all of my files from my 1TB HD to my 6TB one. Furthermore, I would like my 6TB HD to be my start up disk. Is there any way that I can do that?

Mac Pro (Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Aug 12, 2015 3:13 PM

11 replies

Aug 12, 2015 3:19 PM in response to Johot1

You will need to install OS X on the drive first. Since this will erase the drive first, wait until you have done it before transferring files from the other drive. Alternatively, you can clone the 1 TB startup drive to the new drive once the new drive has been partitioned and formatted.

Clone Yosemite, Mavericks, Lion/Mountain Lion using Restore Option of Disk Utility

Boot to the Recovery HD:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears. Alternatively, restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager screen appears. Select the Recovery HD and click on the downward pointing arrow button.

1. Select Disk Utility from the main menu then press the Continue

button.

2. Select the destination volume from the left side list.

3. Click on the Restore tab in the DU main window.

4. Select the destination volume from the left side list and drag it

to the Destination entry field.

5. Select the source volume from the left side list and drag it to

the Source entry field.

6. Double-check you got it right, then click on the Restore button.

Destination means the 6TB drive. Source means the 1TB startup drive.

Once the clone has been completed use the Startup Disk utility from the Recovery HD's Apple menu and set the Macintosh HD volume on the 6TB drive to be the default startup volume. Restart.

Aug 13, 2015 4:19 PM in response to Johot1

You do not see the 6 TB volume in the Disk Utility sidebar? Then either the drive isn't working or has not been partitioned and formatted. You did state that you had formatted it, so you should see something like this:

User uploaded file

In the above Yosemite One from the 1 TB Apple HDD is the Source volume. Yosemite Two from the 250 GB OWC is the Destination.

How to install and boot from new Hard Drive in 2012 Mac Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.