Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I keep pressing buttons while talking on my iPhone 5c

Almost every time I talk on my iPhone 5, I press "mute", "speaker", or "FaceTime" with my cheek. Sometimes I hang up or redial the person I'm talking to. I have not had this problem until the last couple months. It happens to others who use my phone too. I'm going insane.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Aug 12, 2015 8:00 PM

4 replies

Sep 1, 2015 6:49 PM in response to monique262

Yeah, its the proximity sensor. The sensor is supposed to turn of the iPhone screen when you hold it up to your ear to make sure what is happening to you does not happen. If your device is under the warranty, and you haven't damaged the area where the sensor is, you can probably get the sensor replaced. Or Apple might give you a brand new phone(i'm not kidding; they do actually do that sometimes).

Aug 12, 2015 8:12 PM in response to monique262

Sounds like the proximity sensor has gone bad on your iPhone. This sensor shuts off the screen and disables the touch screen while the phone is being held to your face (so your face will not trigger any touch commands).

Make a Genius Bar reservation at your local Apple Store to have it evaluated for free. They will test the device and let you know the details on getting it repaired (cost or no cost depending on warranty). You'll need your Apple ID to make the Genius Bar reservation.

http://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/

I keep pressing buttons while talking on my iPhone 5c

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.