Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do i delete all text messages at once from my iphone 5?

My saved text messages take over 1.5GB of data and I don't need them anymore. How can I erase the whole lot at once, instead of individually, to recapture the storage space?

iPhone 5, iOS 7.1

Posted on Aug 12, 2015 6:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 12, 2015 6:54 PM

Not quite what you asked as there is no way to my knowledge but try this, it should help:

Open Settings > Messages.

1. Open Settings > Messages.
  2. Scroll down to the section labelled MESSAGE HISTORY.
  3. Tap Keep Messages.
  4. Choose 30 days. This will delete messages older than one month.
  5. Then you can go back and delete the rest manually, likely much easier.
4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 12, 2015 6:54 PM in response to ghedges

Not quite what you asked as there is no way to my knowledge but try this, it should help:

Open Settings > Messages.

1. Open Settings > Messages.
  2. Scroll down to the section labelled MESSAGE HISTORY.
  3. Tap Keep Messages.
  4. Choose 30 days. This will delete messages older than one month.
  5. Then you can go back and delete the rest manually, likely much easier.

Aug 12, 2015 7:47 PM in response to ghedges

You can delete the entire "conversation" which deletes all messages contained in that conversation at once. Not sure if it will free up the space you're missing but it's much easier than going through message by message. Note that this will also delete any sent/received photos within the conversation as well so be sure to save what you need to your Camera Roll.

When you are in Messages, tap the Edit button, then select the conversation (the person who's texts you want to delete) by tapping the round selection bubble to the left of the conversation, then tap Delete at the bottom right.

A shortcut is to swipe the conversation to the left, then tap the Delete button that will be revealed.

Aug 13, 2015 8:37 AM in response to SergZak

Thanks SergZak. I couldn't find the "Message History" that elcpu suggested on my iPhone settings. So, I used your method of swiping each conversation to the left to delete all of the messages within them. I probably erased 90% of my conversations but it only freed up about 300M out of 1.5G of messages stored. Better than nothing but perplexed why Apple makes it so difficult to properly manage your storage space and files on the iPhone.

How do i delete all text messages at once from my iphone 5?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.