Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac start up failure

Hi, I am running the latest version of yosemite on an iMac and start up fails. I ran the disc utility and it was unable to repair the HD. I ran fsck and i get "the volume MacIntosh HD could not be verified completely". From here, how do I rescue my data? Thanks in advance :-)

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Aug 13, 2015 12:46 AM

2 replies

Aug 13, 2015 7:36 AM in response to dboot

Ideally you would replace the drive and restore from one of the backups you have made in case this ever happens.

If you don't have a backup, you could buy an external drive and install OS X on it using Recovery--make sure you are installing on the external drive.

Then, you can boot from that Drive and maybe access the files on the damaged drive.

Or, you can send the drive to a file recovery service and they may be able to recover the data if it is that important--file recovery is costly.

See here if your iMac is covered: https://www.apple.com/support/imac-harddrive-3tb/

Aug 13, 2015 10:40 AM in response to dboot

Do a backup, preferable 2 separate ones on 2 drives. Boot to the Recovery Volume (command - R on a restart or hold down the option/alt key during a restart and select Recovery Volume). Run Disk Utility Verify/Repair and Repair Permissions until you get no errors. Restart normally.

Startup Issues - Resolve

Startup Issues - Resolve (2)

Startup Issues - Resolve (3)

Mac start up failure

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.