Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does anyone know what opti-page.com is and how to get rid of it

DDoes anyone know how to get rid of opti-page .com on my Apple Mac iOS yens omits 10.10

it is now also on my iPad Air

i have bought Norton security and it is still there.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Aug 13, 2015 3:10 AM

7 replies

Aug 13, 2015 7:34 AM in response to Kimmidink

I'd remove add-on anti-virus tools — the scanners themselves can tend to be problematic — and — as you've fond — they don't find various sorts of problems.

Usual path for removing this sort of stuff is accessed via Safari Preferences, and removing the browser extensions that you didn't intentionally install. (Safari > Preferences... > Extensions.

The tool formerly known as Adware Medic can probably remove this, or you can install Etrecheck and get a listing of what add-ons are installed.

Usual source of this dreck tends to be from freebie ad-ons, system optimizers or cleaning tools, bogus anti-malware tools, performance-enhancing tools, video players, "cracked" software tools and downloads from download sites, etc. It's increasingly common to find software sourced from somewhere other than the original are compromised, unfortunately.

Aug 13, 2015 8:00 AM in response to Kimmidink

i have bought Norton security ...

Uninstall it and ask for a refund.

The following may be applicable:

Removing all Norton programs for Mac by using the RemoveSymantecMacFiles removal

Does anyone know how to get rid of opti-page .com

If that page is unexpectedly appearing on all devices you use on your network, it is highly likely that your wireless router has been maliciously tampered with. That is possible with any router that uses a web page for configuration.

Do not download or install anything in an attempt to fix it. To do that requires that you "factory reset" that device, followed by reconfiguring it using a secure password. Different routers have different ways of accomplishing that, but they generally require pressing a "reset" button on the router itself. If you need more help, describe the model number of the router you are using.

Aug 13, 2015 8:09 AM in response to Kimmidink

opti-page.com is a Mayan calendar serch page.

You must not install any Antivirus app on a mac, and certainly not Norton, which is the worst crap you can imagine, even for Windows. (It used to have a reasonably good name 25-30 years ago). You should not install any AV app at all.

If you fear you are infected, it is probably adawre/malware like Vsearch or so. This is already bad enough. To solve that download AdwareMedic which will remove the infections, it is now called MalwarebytesAntiMalware, download from here:

https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/mac/

Aug 13, 2015 8:26 AM in response to Kimmidink

If you're seeing it on an iPad, it's obviously not malware. You should never use any kind of "anti-malware" software for any reason, no matter how heavily it's promoted on this site.

From the menu bar, select

▹ System Preferences... ▹ Network ▹ Advanced... ▹ DNS

Under DNS Servers you should have one or more numerical addresses, such as “192.168.1.1” or “10.0.0.1”. What are those addresses?

Aug 13, 2015 1:45 PM in response to Lexiepex

LexSchellings wrote:

Nobody said opti-page.com is malware. It is not.

Actually, there is some adware called OperatorMac that installs a browser plug-in (among other things) called Opti-Page or Toppy, and which directs users to opti-page.com. AdwareMedic and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac will remove that.

However, as Linc points out, this adware could not affect an iPad. Thus, it's likely in Kimmidink's case that someone is now hacking wireless networks in order to send people to that page, which is even worse. To fix that, see:

How can I troubleshoot my wireless router or modem with my Mac?

(Fair disclosure: I am affiliated with Malwarebytes.)

Aug 15, 2015 1:26 AM in response to thomas_r.

Hi Thomas, good to see you.

Congrats with your move to Malwarebytes. This should free more resources to do the good work...

Although the naming of some of the Malwarebytes products may psychological tend to be categorized in the "...guards" "....Keeper" and such. Perhaps that is what Linc has as objection, at least I hope so.

regards,

Lex

Does anyone know what opti-page.com is and how to get rid of it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.