Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Microfiber cloth left inside a closed MacBook Pro Retina

Hi,

I read that you shouldn't leave anything between the keyboard and display when closing the lid of a MacBook Pro Retina:

Do not use palm rest or keycap covers on a MacBook Pro with Retina display - Apple Support

However, being so thin, is it possible to leave the microfiber cloth, supplied by Apple with the MacBook, between the keyboard and the display when closing the lid?

Paolo

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Aug 13, 2015 7:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2015 8:15 AM

PaoloT. wrote:

However, being so thin, is it possible to leave the microfiber cloth, supplied by Apple with the MacBook, between the keyboard and the display when closing the lid?

No. You should not cover the keycaps.

6 replies

Aug 14, 2015 12:56 AM in response to PaoloT.

To add to your paranoia the paper Apple ships sandwiched in the closed MacBook is clean and you need to factor in that if there are oils and acids on the keys and palm rests (from use) then the paper actually might aid in transferring these to the screen when closed since it most likely will bridge the (extremely small) gap between the two.

Just something to consider.

Sep 2, 2015 10:16 AM in response to PaoloT.

Anyway, I decided to leave the microfiber cloth supplied by Apple between the display and keyboard. The same side always toward the keyboard or the display, to avoid moving grease between the two sides. There are companies selling microfiber protectors/cleaners with the same profile of the MacBook, but I guess having a spacer in the middle should be enough.

Let's see what will happen in a few months.

Paolo

Microfiber cloth left inside a closed MacBook Pro Retina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.