Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wifi has to be turned off/on after "sleep"

Running OS X Yosemite V 10.10.4 on iMac (Retina 5K, 27", late 2014). Recently changed our internet provider from ATT to Time Warner. After we switched, my wifi connection gets lost every time my computer goes into sleep mode and I have to manually switch it back on. I made no changes to my computer when we switched providers. And my computer shows that it's connected, but it isn't. I have to manually turn it off then back on to connect.

This is only a problem on my iMac. We have two other MacBook Pros, multiple iPads and an iPhone in our house and no other Apple product has been this finnicky. The only thing I can think of is that I updated from 10.10.3 to 10.10.4 at some point in the last few months, but I can't imagine that's the culprit??

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

iMac with Retina 5K display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Aug 13, 2015 6:02 AM

2 replies

Aug 13, 2015 8:42 AM in response to JGP_77

Please test after taking each of the following steps that you haven't already tried. Back up all data before making any changes.

1. Make sure the network is on the preferred list by following these instructions. It's important to read the article carefully, as it's the starting point for any further efforts to solve the problem. If you skip any of the steps, the problem may not be solved. Make sure the box marked

Remember networks this computer has joined

is checked.

2. Follow the instructions in this support article under the heading

Symptom: After restarting or waking from sleep, my computer might not connect to the Internet

3. Reset the PRAM.

4. Make a note of all your settings for Wi-Fi in the Network preference pane, then delete the connection from the connection list and recreate it with the same settings. You do this by clicking the plus-sign icon below the connection list, and selecting Wi-Fi as the interface in the sheet that opens. Select Join other network from the Network Name menu, then select your network. Enter the password when prompted and save it in the keychain.

5. From the Location menu at the top of the Network preference pane, select Edit Locations. A sheet will drop down. Click the plus-sign button to create a new location. Give it any name you want. In the new location, set up the Wi-Fi service with the same settings you used before. Click Apply and test.

6. Launch the Keychain Access application. Search for and delete all AirPort network password items that refer to the network. Make a note of the password first.

7. Repair permissions on the startup volume.

8. Turn off Bluetoothand test.

9. Reset the System Management Controller.

10. This step shouldn't be necessary, but has been advised by Apple Support in some cases, apparently as a workaround for a bug. Open the Energy Saver pane in System Preferences. If applicable, click the padlock icon in the lower left corner to unlock the settings. Enter your administrator login password when prompted.

Select the Power Adapter tab and uncheck the boxes marked

Wake for Wi-Fi network access

and

Enable Power Nap...

if present. Then, if the computer is a MacBook, select the Battery tab and uncheck

Enable Power Nap...

11. Reinstall OS X.

Aug 15, 2015 8:38 PM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks for the suggestions. Step 1 did not resolve the problem. On step 2, I was unable to proceed from here on:

Remove your stored network passwords using the Keychain Access Utility.

1. Open Keychain Access from /Applications/Utilities. Your window will look like this:User uploaded file
  2. Remove your AirPort network passwords from the login keychain: Select the "login" keychain from the Keychain sidebar. Click the "Kind" column to order the list of keychain items by their type. Remove all entries of the kind: "AirPort network password".
  3. Remove your AirPort network passwords from the System keychain: Select the "System" keychain from the Keychain sidebar. Click the "Kind" column to order the list of keychain items by their type. Remove all entries of the kind: "AirPort network password".

I don't have any airport network passwords shown. Since I couldn't remove anything, I proceeded and restarted my computer and the problem persists. Shall I move onto step 3 at this point (reset PRAM)?

Wifi has to be turned off/on after "sleep"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.