Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preview always opens PDF files to Page 2

I've got a really strange issue and I can't seem to find anything about it online. For some reason, when I open PDF files in Preview they always open up to the second page (I tried a .docx file and it opened to the first page). This has been going on for a while, but it's starting to become an annoyance as I work with PDF files all day. I've checked the Preferences, and nothing stands out. Is there any way to do a "full reset" of Preview? I'm on a 2014 iMac running Yosemite 10.10.4 Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Posted on Aug 13, 2015 9:12 AM

8 replies

Aug 13, 2015 9:28 AM in response to awer25

Quit Preview.

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Remove the following. You may not find them all. Restart and test.

Containers/com.apple.Preview

Containers/com.apple.quicklook.ui.helper

Preferences/com.apple.Preview.LSSharedFileList.plist

Preferences/com.apple.Preview.SandboxedPersistentURLs.LSSharedFileList.plist

Saved Application State/com.apple.Preview.savedState

Credit Linc Davis for this solution.

Aug 11, 2016 12:47 PM in response to awer25

Still happening a year later on 10.11.6. Here is a clue for Apple (maybe they will fix it in a decade). If you make a 2 slide/page PDF from Keynote, Preview will open it on page one. If you make a PDF from a 3 or more slide/page PDF, Preview will open it on page 2. But, oddly Adobe Acrobat Reader opens on page 1 as it's supposed to. I'm guessing it is a combination of using the PDF Producer, "Mac OS X 10.10/11 Quartz PDFContext" and using the OS X Preview App, Can you possibly fix this Apple? It's been going on for years!

Preview always opens PDF files to Page 2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.