Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause..

I successfully installed Windows 7 on BootCamp a couple days ago, but the size of my disk happened to be too small to fit much of anything. I deleted the bootcamp partition, and resized to 80GB and started reinstalling the same way I had done before using a USB flash drive and .ISO image to create a Windows 7 install disk (MacBook Pro Late-2013 without a CD drive). After a couple restarts into the installation, Windows 7 fails to boot and I get the problem as depicted. Disk Utility on Mac side does not recognize the partition and therefore has it labeled as 'UNTITLED' rather than 'BOOTCAMP'.

I tried erasing the USB, and deleting the BootCamp partition many times with no success, so something happened from my first installation to the second that is not changing with each 'new' installation.

I tried searching and haven't been able to find any Mac-specific solutions.

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), null

Posted on Aug 13, 2015 10:46 AM

30 replies

Aug 26, 2015 2:14 PM in response to hiimjosu

I have exactly the same problem and have spent almost a week now trying to resolve it. Tech Support suggested that it was a Microsoft problem but I have successfully installed on my old MBP with internal optical drive and, therefore, believe it to be an Apple problem.

I have tried manually partitioning the "untitled" read only partition to "BOOT CAMP" (read and write) but then have no input method (mouse, keyboard etc) when I get to the Windows installation screen.

I was wondering if it was worthwhile spending £60 on an Apple Superdrive in the hope that Boot Camp Assistant would recognise it and install directly from DVD.

I really would be most grateful if someone could shed some light on this.

Thank you

Aug 27, 2015 2:37 AM in response to hiimjosu

Having the same issue with my iMac 21.5 late 2013 build too and have been tearing my hair out for four days over it. I have lost count of how many times I have went through the process .. All clean installs with no programs running on Mac or anything other than the bootcamp setup usb in place. Hope solution comes around soon. Meanwhile will struggle through it and hope that I stumble onto a work around.

Aug 27, 2015 3:01 AM in response to femfrankie

Loner T

Thank you for the reply. I do not have an optical drive on my MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013) and thank heavens I did not buy an external one.

Consequently, it would appear that it is impossible to install Windows via Boot Camp. I sort of understand Apple's reluctance to get too involved with the Windows side of life but as they have it in the operating system I wish that they would repair it.

Aug 29, 2015 8:17 AM in response to hiimjosu

1 Make sure that you are using USB 2

2 Manually download the three installation files for your hardware from the link given in Boot Camp Assistant Help. Make sure you get the correct version because there is another link at the bottom of the page for "MBP 15 inch Retina late 2013" ( $WinPEDriver$, BootCamp and AutoUnattend.xml ).

Copy and replace the files on the USB drive which BCA downloaded automatically.

Hope it works for you...it did for me.

Sep 29, 2015 8:19 AM in response to sourdonuts

If you already have Windows installed, download Paragon NTFS for Mac Trial version, which will allow read-write access to Bootcamp partition. Find AppleSSD.sys and delete it.

If you are seeing this issue during a new Windows installation, remove the AppleSSD64 folder from $WinPEDriver$ folder and retry your Windows installation.

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause..

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.