Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I delete unwanted video from iMovie?

I have an iPad 2 mini, late 2013, 32gb, iOS 8.4.1. My daughter used it to make a bunch of trailers on iMovie. We've exported all of the completed projects (everything from the projects page and the theatre page) to Dropbox, and we've deleted them from the iPad. But there are still 46 videos sitting in the 'video' tab. (see screen shot).

User uploaded file

I've deleted all videos and photos from the camera roll, from the 'videos' app, and from the 'photos' app. iMovie still has 46 videos in it. I don't see any way to delete these from within iMovie. There's no delete button in the video tab.

How can I get rid of these videos? It's driving me nuts. Thanks in advance for your help.

iPad 2, iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Aug 13, 2015 11:36 AM

8 replies

Aug 15, 2015 10:49 AM in response to gauntboy

Hi gauntboy,

So you deleted all the projects from iMovie on your iPad but can't seem to delete the video clips themselves.

Have you clicked on that little disclosure triangle in the upper right were the clip count is?

User uploaded file

From iMovie Help for iPad

Delete a video clip from your device

You can permanently delete a video clip recorded or imported into iMovie. If you already used the video clip in a project, you must remove the clip from the project before deleting it from your device.

1. To open the Projects browser, tap Projects at the top of the screen.

If you don’t see Projects at the top of the screen, tap the back button User uploaded file.

2. Scroll the projects, then tap one to see project details.

3. Tap the Edit button User uploaded file or the project’s thumbnail image.

4. If your video clips don’t appear in the media library, tap Video.

Note: If your iPad is in portrait orientation, first tap the Media Library button User uploaded file in the upper-right corner, then tap Video at the bottom of the screen.

5. Select a video category from the list.

6. Tap the disclosure triangle at the top next to the category name, then tap “Manage local media.”

User uploaded file
  7. Tap the Delete button User uploaded file for each video clip you want to delete.

Clips that appear with an orange line along the bottom are being used in the project and must be removed from the project before being deleted. Clips that appear dimmed came from or were moved to the photo library and can’t be deleted from within iMovie. To delete those clips, use the Photos app on your device.

Take care.

Jan 31, 2016 4:59 PM in response to Nubz N.

Hi,

I am new here, but am feeling very frustrated. Apple products are supposed to be easier to use.

I purchased my daugter an ipad air 2 64gb for Christmas. She started using the imovie on this device to film little videos of her and her cousins doing gymnastics. There are 88 little clips ranging from a few seconds to a few minutes.

These videos show up under "video's in imovie. They are not in the camera roll. I can't seem to figure out a way to get them to the camera roll to be saved down to my PC or to google photos. Additionally, how does one delete one of these small clips showing up under "video" in the app itself.

I used tech support chat service which felt as bad as waiting for aol.com support in 1995. I tried calling the support number but after a 20 minute hold I gave up.

I just want to get the 88 videos out of imovie and moved over to the camera roll without having to create 88 projects and then saving them over to the camera roll only to discover I still can't delete them from imovie.

Any help or guidance is appreciated.

Sincerely,

Super Frustrated Dad.

Nov 22, 2016 11:49 AM in response to gauntboy

Okay, so I had the same problem and I found a fix,

Go to iMovie app first, then click on projects, then create project,chose movies, then on top click on media which would take you back to the root folder of iPhone media library, over there chose videos, in videos chose iMovie video, then you can delete the videos one by one by clicking edit on the top right corner of the screen and do not close or minimise app. you have to go back after deleting the videos, and click cancel and delete the project you have created (trash icon on bottom), and done! All the videos are gone.

Hope it helps. :)

Nov 22, 2016 11:51 AM in response to DanGlod

Okay, so I had the same problem and I found a fix,

Go to iMovie app first, then click on projects, then create project,chose movies, then on top click on media which would take you back to the root folder of iPhone media library, over there chose videos, in videos chose iMovie video, then you can delete the videos one by one by clicking edit on the top right corner of the screen and do not close or minimise app. you have to go back after deleting the videos, and click cancel and delete the project you have created (trash icon on bottom), and done! All the videos are gone.

Hope it helps.

How can I delete unwanted video from iMovie?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.