Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture won't import from my network drive

Aperture can *see* my external RAID drive, that I connect to wirelessly via the Airport - in so far as it has just allowed me to make a new vault on that drive. But when I try to import a photo from that drive, it simply doesn't appear in the list of places that I can import from. Why doesn't it recognise it as available? Do I have to 'add drive' or something? Sorry if this is a really dim question.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Aug 13, 2015 11:15 AM

3 replies

Aug 13, 2015 11:33 AM in response to helen_vr

But when I try to import a photo from that drive, it simply doesn't appear in the list of places that I can import from. Why doesn't it recognise it as available? Do I have to 'add drive' or something? Sorry if this is a really dim question.

Is the photo in the vault or in an Aperture Library? Aperture cannot import single photos from a vault or a library. You have to open the vault or library in Aperture and than export the photo.

And it is not supported to store a library or a vault on a network drive. Apple advises agains it. A library or vault needs to be on a locally mounted volume or you are risking library corruption, data loss, or a poor performance. See Apple'S Support document:

Use locally mounted Mac OS X Extended volumes for your Aperture library

A vault is essentially an Aperture Library. It just has a different filename extension.

Aug 18, 2015 6:42 AM in response to léonie

Many thanks, Léonie! The image wasn't in any library or vault, I was trying to import it into Aperture from a folder. But I hadn't realised that network drives aren't supported, so that answers that.
However, I have just today found out that Aperture is doomed because Apple are no longer planning to support it. So I will have to start again from scratch with Lightroom. Which makes all my minor problems with Aperture obsolete... :-/

cheers,

Helen

Aug 18, 2015 10:08 AM in response to helen_vr

However, I have just today found out that Aperture is doomed because Apple are no longer planning to support it.

There will be no future developement of Aperture, that's right. The compatibility update Aperture 3.6 for MacOS X 10.10 Yosemite is probably the last version of Aperture. It is supported on Yosemite and will probably also work with the next MacOS X El Capitan, but in the long run you will need to migrate to Lightroom or another professional application, if you need a professional photo library application.

Aperture won't import from my network drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.