Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to split page in 2 on Pages?

I'm trying to split my page in 2 (1/3 on the left-hand side and 2/3 on the right-hand side).

This is so I can take notes in two columns as in the Cornell Note-Taking System (see image or/and link):

User uploaded file

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornell_Notes

How would I do this?

Cheers

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Aug 13, 2015 11:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2015 10:04 PM

The Cornell note sheet is essentially a header line over a set of three text boxes. In the printed version, the Details text box is lined to help organize the writing done here.

If I understand the description in the linked article, the Details section is the prime area for note taking in class, and the other two are intended for use when revising the notes outside class time.

For a pages version, there's probably no need for the writing guide lines in this section.

Here's a quickly done version of the Cornell sheet, made on a Blank Canvas (page layout) template in Pages '09. The heavy blue lines (these would be black in the final version) are line and rectangle shapes, coloured blue to distinguish them from the light grey outlines showing the locations of the three single line text boxes holding header and title information, and the three larger ones that are the text entry spaces on the page.

User uploaded file

The grey border, marking the limits of the printed area of the page) and lines (text box borders) are visible only because I have chosen to Show Layout. These would not be visible in the 'in use' version.

Positions of the three pieces of text in the top box, and the two in the second box, are controlled by tab stops set in the Ruler (not visible in the screen shot).

Regards,

Barry

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 13, 2015 10:04 PM in response to Jake Glowy

The Cornell note sheet is essentially a header line over a set of three text boxes. In the printed version, the Details text box is lined to help organize the writing done here.

If I understand the description in the linked article, the Details section is the prime area for note taking in class, and the other two are intended for use when revising the notes outside class time.

For a pages version, there's probably no need for the writing guide lines in this section.

Here's a quickly done version of the Cornell sheet, made on a Blank Canvas (page layout) template in Pages '09. The heavy blue lines (these would be black in the final version) are line and rectangle shapes, coloured blue to distinguish them from the light grey outlines showing the locations of the three single line text boxes holding header and title information, and the three larger ones that are the text entry spaces on the page.

User uploaded file

The grey border, marking the limits of the printed area of the page) and lines (text box borders) are visible only because I have chosen to Show Layout. These would not be visible in the 'in use' version.

Positions of the three pieces of text in the top box, and the two in the second box, are controlled by tab stops set in the Ruler (not visible in the screen shot).

Regards,

Barry

Aug 16, 2015 7:25 AM in response to Jake Glowy

Hi Jake,

I am not sure if you want printed pages to handwrite your notes, or if you want a template to type notes into. However, here we go...

As Barry suggested, place text boxes to create a Cornell notes page.

In Pages 5 (New from Template Chooser > Blank) the Page Header has three fields ready for your top line.

Pages > Preferences > Rulers

User uploaded file

Menu > View >Show Rulers

Menu > View > Show Layout

This Screen Shot is for A4 paper size, Portrait (ruler in centimetres) and 75% Zoom for this shot:

User uploaded file

I added the red lines (Insert Shape) to help me. The Alignment Guides (Pages > Preferences > Rulers) helped me place the red lines and the text boxes.

Delete the red lines after you get your Cornell layout.

Under the Page Header are text boxes.

The Page Footer helps to show where to stop the Summary text box.

A little tricky, but you can use the arrow keys on your keyboard to nudge text boxes.

Also, with a text box selected, Format Panel > Arrange > Size to fine tune.

When you are happy with the document, Save As Template 🙂.

Regards,

Ian.

How to split page in 2 on Pages?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.