Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to install Snow Leopard DVD on iMac with new disk getting no bootable device error

Hi Guys,

I discovered that you can install Snow Leopard DVD on iMac - but not directly. I put disc in a windows PC and did a remote install! (No I don't own another Mac)

A friend gave me his iMac to fix. The disk was dead and he didn't have install CDs.

I replaced HDD. Purchased Snow Leopard DVD from Apple Store, but got error when trying to boot from it: a black screen saying "no bootable device". And it would eject DVD.

After trying *many* different ways to get it to boot, I gave up and put the disk in my Win XP PC thinking I'd modify the image or run from USB or something, but instead it offered to install Remote DVD software. I installed it, ran it and installed OS X snow leopard remotely!

Steps are:

- Insert Snow Leopard DVD into WIndows PC

- Install Remote Installer / Remote DVD software

- Start > DVD or CD sharing > remote install Mac OS X

- continue, Mac OS X install dvd continue, Ethernet continue, option continue, continue, waiting to connect...

- Plug ethernet network cable into iMAC

- Power on iMAC and hold down "Option" key

- iMac will take a while but eventually it will boot into install utility

- If you have installed a new blank HDD, Installer will not see HDD. So you need to create a partition

- On iMac: Utilities > Disk Utility

- Create a single partition and Apply

- Go back to Install Utility and select HDD and INSTALL!

Just thought I'd share.

Regards,

Feizex. =)

Posted on Aug 13, 2015 1:51 PM

There are no replies.

How to install Snow Leopard DVD on iMac with new disk getting no bootable device error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.