Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2011 Mac Mini Random Boot/Graphics Problems

I am having an intermittent problem booting all the way to the Mac Mini desktop. If I can boot to the desktop, the graphics get wonky or go to the white screen after various time and activity.

I have exhausted my knowledge to figure out what is wrong.

2011 Mac Mini / 2.5 i5 / Radeon 6630M / 4 GB memory / Toshiba 500GB HD / OS 10.8.5 All software is up to date.

On the failed boot, I power on, I get the Apple, then after about 30 sec. of spinning graphic, just white screen.

On successful boot, I have used single user fsck, safe boot, reset PRAM, reset SMC and various combinations. Sometimes it boots, sometimes it doesn’t. I have never been able to successfully use the Recovery mode.

I have repaired permissions, verified the HD, run a successful hardware test, run fsck -fy. All tests say the hard drive and memory are ok.

I have tested the monitor by connecting two different known good monitors and sets of cables through the HDMI port or the Thunderbolt port. This makes no difference to the boot.

When it boots properly, I can use the desktop for minutes or hours.

The computer being hot or cold doesn’t seem to make a difference. Letting the cpu sit or powering on right after a power down doesn't make a difference.

I have used a different known good Apple keyboard and Logitech optical mouse.

I have unplugged all peripherals except keyboard and mouse.

Sometimes when it stalls at the white screen, I can network from another computer and connect to the Mini, where I can see files only, no desktop.

If the Mini boots to the desktop, I can screen share from another computer and see the desktop activity. When the graphics go wonky on the Mini monitor, the screen share looks okay.

Anything else I can try?

Posted on Aug 13, 2015 3:19 PM

1 reply

Feb 14, 2016 6:50 AM in response to akn

I've got the same machine and exactly the same fault with it.

An engineer has looked at it and diagnosed either a faulty GPU chip or, the more likely fault, failed solder between the GPU and the mother board.

He says that the solder material was changed from the old reliable method to a less ductile soldering technique about 6 years ago and since then loads of machines are failing with similar issues.

It's basically the same fault as the radeon powered MBP's from the same year that the Apple repair was offered on.

Sadly we lowly Mini owners have not been offered the same service 😟

Have you had any joy with your mini yet?

2011 Mac Mini Random Boot/Graphics Problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.