Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Podcast app crashing regularly - especially when an alarm goes

I am finding just recently that the podcast app is crashing my whole phone regularly. When it crashes it's not just the podcast app that stops - I end up with the white startup screen with Apple logo. It doesn't go through a full restart - it just takes a couple of seconds on the white screen, and then the home screen appears. I then go back into the podcast app and it takes me to the main screen instead of "now playing". When I tap "now plyaing" it remembers the podcast I was playing and the location I got up to.

One of the things that seems to trigger this type of crash is when an alarm goes off while I'm listening to a podcast. When I tap "OK" on the alarm the whole phone crashes, as I have described. This doesn't happen on every single alarm, but possibly 70% of the time an alarm goes off while listening to a podcast.

I'm running iOS 8.4. I listen to the podcasts via Bluetooth audio speakers.

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.4

Posted on Aug 13, 2015 1:54 PM

8 replies

Aug 28, 2015 12:34 PM in response to araujoam

Having the same issue with podcasts for the past week or so. I have an iPhone 5s. After listening for a few minutes the podcast transport controls won't work and if I try to unlock, the screen goes blank/white for several seconds and it comes back up to main home screen. If you go back in to play the podcast its forgotten where you left off, starts over from the beginning. I see no way to delete the podcast app. Hopefully someone comes up with a fix soon.

Sep 3, 2015 3:08 PM in response to Jodamo5Josh

I've had the exact same string of issues for the past couple weeks - links in emails don't work; podcast app crashes to white; iBooks hangs; Lockscreen player controls become unresponsive; Apple Music signup dialog would pop up despite already having signed up for a family plan. Restarting worked for a short while before symptoms returned. Made my iPhone 5s and iPad Mini nearly unusable.

But today it seems like the issue has been fixed and I'd like to share with you what I did in hopes that we narrow down the actual solution.

I did two things that I could rationally attribute to solving the issue:

1. Forced iCloud backup. I noticed that my devices hadn't backed themselves up in a couple weeks - since around the time these issues cropped up. Go to Settings->iCloud->Backup->Back Up Now
  2. Now this one's a bit weird. Around the time these issues began (after upgrading to 8.4.1), a new podcast popped up that corresponded with an iTunes U course to which I subscribed. This new podcast was simply the video episodes within the course. I was afraid to delete it, fearing I'd lose my place in the course through iTunes U. Today, I finally gave in and deleted it.

After these two actions, suddenly things started working. I was trying to show a friend all the issues with which I've been battling these past weeks, when everything that didn't previously worked suddenly did work. Links in emailed work. Podcasts update, Apps update. I haven't had enough time to run through my usual usage patterns, but so far it's looking great.

I'd love someone to try at least the iCloud backup. I'd really like to narrow down what it was I did that seems to have fixed the issue. I made it a point to return to the forum and document my experience.

Podcast app crashing regularly - especially when an alarm goes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.