Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Target disk boot Macbook USB-C to iMac

I am trying to boot my Macbook through a USB-C to USB-A 3.1 cable on my iMac to take advantage of the PCI-e storage in the macbook and quad core i7 in the iMac but I can't seem to get the iMac to find my Macbook as a bootable drive, although it does show up as an external disk on the iMac's desktop when booted into os x. Has anyone successfully done this? Apple has no answers.

MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2015), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Aug 13, 2015 2:36 PM

16 replies

Aug 13, 2015 2:45 PM in response to myles_sica

If it shows up as an external disk it's still usable. Why do you need to boot from the MacBook from the iMac? To do that you simply boot the MacBook normally while booting the iMac into Target Disk Mode. If you want the iMac to be able to use the flash drive in the MacBook, then boot the iMac normally and boot the MacBook into Target Disk Mode. Of course the two must be connected to one another. I'm not sure you can do that via USB.

Aug 13, 2015 5:23 PM in response to myles_sica

Then, I think what you need to do is:

Boot the iMac into Target Disk Mode.

Boot the MacBook normally.

The iMac will appear on the MacBook's desktop. The MacBook is able to access the files and apps on the iMac.

The reverse is to boot the MacBook into Target Disk Mode and boot the iMac normally. The MacBook will appear on the iMac's Desktop.

Pick the one you need when you need it.

Aug 13, 2015 5:31 PM in response to Kappy

I don't think you understand the issue, I can see the macbook as an external drive when plugged into the iMac. I want to boot the OS of my macbook to my iMac, like I've done hundreds of time before with Thunderbolt, Ethernet and Firewire. Apple said this should be possible but they do not make a native cable and can't tell me why this won't work. My macbook boots into target disk just fine and it even charges, but the only way to transfer data is to use it as an external usb and if you've ever worked with video files, you know what a pain it is when they are no longer linked.

Aug 13, 2015 9:31 PM in response to myles_sica

It doesn't work the same way with the new MacBook. You can manually transfer data with target disk mode, but Migration Assistant doesn't work with it.

but I can't seem to get the iMac to find my Macbook as a bootable drive,

It is not going to show up as a bootable drive to another Mac.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204360

Your MacBook with USB-C port supports USB target disk mode. You can enable target disk mode and use the following USB-C cables to transfer data. These cables are not currently available from Apple.

• USB 3.0 or USB 3.1 USB-A to USB-C Cable: Use this cable to manually transfer data from any Mac notebook with USB-A port(s) to your MacBook with USB-C port. This cable cannot be used to migrate data using the Setup Assistant or Migration Assistant application.
  • USB 3.0 or USB 3.1 USB-C Cable (USB-C to USB-C): Use this cable to migrate data from any MacBook with a USB-C port to another MacBook with USB-C port using the Setup Assistant or Migration Assistant application.

To enable target disk mode, hold down the T button on your keyboard while starting your MacBook. Then connect either of the USB-C cables described above. The USB-C Charge Cable (2m) supplied with your MacBook doesn't support target disk mode.

Aug 14, 2015 9:46 AM in response to Lanny

why would my mac not appear as a bootable drive? This feature should be fully supported and I am not in any way shape or form trying to use migration assistant or setup assistant rather, essentially use my Macbook as an external boot drive (been able to do it for years with external USB drives on macs). I have read the HT204360 a hundred times and I appreciate the response but none of what you highlighted pertains to my specific question. I already have a USB-C to USB-A cable which charges and allows data sync with my computer, I was even able to use migration assistant without any issues even though it's not supported right now according to HT204360.

Aug 14, 2015 8:19 PM in response to Lanny

Lanny, you're not wrong, but you're referencing an article from nearly 3 years ago and not telling me any information that I don't already know.. Yes legacy macs could only use firewire or lightning to boot a mac to another mac, but in this case, it IS possible with the macbook if you boot to another macbook using USB-C, so why not to my iMac?

Target disk boot Macbook USB-C to iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.