Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is the iPhone 4s Obsolete?

I don't know what's going on- my iPhone 4s JUST updated, but it says it won't work. It is halfway through the third try, and I think I need help.

I will tell the error code when it pops up again.😟

iPhone 4S, iOS 8.4, None

Posted on Aug 13, 2015 5:49 PM

15 replies

Aug 13, 2015 5:51 PM in response to Lezlohead

Lezlohead wrote:

I don't know what's going on- my iPhone 4s JUST updated, but it says it won't work. It is halfway through the third try, and I think I need help.

I will tell the error code when it pops up again.😟

In general, iPhone 4S isn't obsolete: it'll be updated to iOS 9 this fall. And it surely supports iOS 8.4.1. Try updating with iTunes.

Aug 15, 2015 4:31 PM in response to Lezlohead

Lezlohead wrote:

The error code is 29

Get help with iOS update and restore errors - Apple Support

Check for hardware issues

Errors: 1, 3, 11, 12, 13, 14, 16, 20, 21, 23, 26, 27, 28, 29, 34, 35, 36, 37, 40, 53, 56, 1002, 1004, 1011, 1012, 1014, 1667, or 1669.

Your device or computer might have a hardware issue that stops the update or restore from completing.

1. Check that your security software and settings aren't blocking your device from communicating with the Apple update server.
  2. Then try to restore your iOS device two more times while connected with a cable, computer, and network you know are good.
  3. Make sure that your security software and settings are allowing communication between your device and update servers.
  4. If you still see the error message when you update or restore, contact Apple support.

If you still see the error message, check for outdated or modified software.

Aug 30, 2015 11:24 AM in response to Lezlohead

How should we know what you've tried. You didn't even bother telling us what the error message said until 2 days after your initial post.

And maybe actually telling us what you've done to try and fix it would be a good idea too.

If you can't follow the instructions because you use a USB device to get Internet access, then you're going to have to find a way around that. Use someone else's computer who has a real internet connection. Or maybe just make an appointment at the genius bar and take it in to see if they can help you.

Copping an attitude is not a good way to ensure you get help around here.

Aug 30, 2015 11:44 AM in response to KiltedTim

I tried the first step in the basic receiver port, (wall plug) to update it, like I always do, and then when I got dropped off, (that's another story) I plugged it into the PC, on iTunes. That is pretty much it, considering it has tried over and over (and over) again, and still nothing. I've been trying to fix it alongside this discussion. (FYI) It has another error code, too. 27, but it is the same problem as 29.

Is the iPhone 4s Obsolete?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.