Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook pro camera issue

I bought my MacBook Pro about 5 years ago, let a buddy borrow it to instal Final Cut 7 and he calls me to say he dropped it. Since then it has had a minor indent on the left side but, all together worked just fine. The camera however has not... Ive tried google chat, Webinar etc all just to have to make a work around I havn't needed it until my boss requested video meetings...

Is there a simple fix for this OR that day when my buddy dropped my comp killed it?

2.3 GHz Core i7

16GB

240 SSD M6 -Boot

500 GB -Storage Drive/Optical Bay

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), Internal Camera

Posted on Aug 13, 2015 4:14 PM

2 replies

Aug 14, 2015 1:00 AM in response to IIIJI2III

The unit may require a professional diagnostic, or perhaps an inspection by an AASP

where they may choose to test it to see if the system sees the camera, and if damages

to the unit may be the cause of its apparent failure. Does the System hardware profile

show the camera or has it gone missing from the report?

An external camera may be adapted for use with the computer. Sorry that I haven't a

recommendation in regard to what kind of product to get, in that possibility.

Maybe someone will offer other ideas. (Your post appeared in MacBook 2006-2010 ASC

and I've asked Host to relocate to MacBook Pro ASC)

Good luck in this matter! 🙂

Aug 15, 2015 8:07 AM in response to IIIJI2III

K Shaffer is right that you probably will need professional service help.

However, if you want to try some things first, one of the following will fix your camera problem:

(1) If restarting your Mac doesn't fix the problem,

(2) use Apple's http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2090.

(BTW - The Troubleshooting article calls the camera an "iSight". However, after the article was published, Apple has changed the built-in camera's name on newer Macs from "iSight" to "FaceTime" and then to "FaceTime HD." Regardless of the name of your built-in camera, the same info and troubleshooting applies.)

Be sure to test more than one Apple app in more than one user account. Do NOT use the "Guest" account for this test. If you do not have more than one user account for the testing, create a new one now. If you need help, how to do it is explained in http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201754.

A "Standard" user account is all you need for testing.

Don't bother testing Skype or other third-party apps until you have your camera working with Apple apps.

(3) If your cam won't work properly even with Apple apps, follow these instructions to completely reinstall your Mac OS.

(4) If none of the above suggestions resolve your trouble, contact Apple or an Apple-Authorized Service Provider to have your Mac professionally serviced.

Message was edited by: EZ Jim

Mac OSX 10.10.5

MacBook pro camera issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.