Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am an ER nurse and want to know if this watch can stand up to the challenge. Any nurses out there?

I would love to hear from any nurses with on the job experience with this watch.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Aug 13, 2015 4:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2015 5:36 PM

Since the Watch will only stay lit for 7 seconds I doubt it will work for taking a pulse.

12 replies

Aug 14, 2015 6:18 AM in response to Tomorrownight

The new Watch OS coming this fall will provide a setting to stay lit for 70 seconds which should help with the pulse issue. The watch is also more than up to the task for getting run under a faucet (in fact it's part of Apple's official suggestions for cleaning the digital crown). The thing I would be most concerned about is abrasive soaps or other chemicals. As long as you can try to avoid consistently getting it on the watch body I'd say go for it.

My wife is an ER nurse and currently has an original Pebble and does not have any issues (granted it's made out of different materials, etc). We're planning on eventually getting her one as well.

Aug 14, 2015 9:36 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

There is no such thing as 'waterproof' The term is bantered about by the media but has no meaning without context. Any watch (or device) can only be considered waterproof to it's rating. So the Apple Watch is waterproof rated to IPx7 standard (minimum 30 minutes at 1 meter). It has been proven many times that it could very well be rated ATM3 or even ATM5.

Aug 14, 2015 9:52 AM in response to William Julien2

This is what Apple says:

Submerging Apple Watch is not recommended. Apple Watch has a water resistance rating of IPX7 under IEC standard 60529. The leather bands are not water resistant. Water resistance is not a permanent condition and Apple Watch cannot be rechecked or resealed for water resistance. The following may affect the water resistance of Apple Watch and should be avoided:

• Dropping Apple Watch or subjecting it to other impacts.
  • Submerging Apple Watch in water for long periods of time.
  • Swimming or bathing with Apple Watch.
  • Exposing Apple Watch to pressurized water or high velocity water, for example, showering, water skiing, wake boarding, surfing, jet skiing, and so on.
  • Wearing Apple Watch in the sauna or steam room.

As I am not an ER nurse, I don't know exactly what stresses a watch might be subjected to (e.g. Extensive hand washing under possibly higher than household normal pressure?). As Apple recommends not showering with the watch (yes, Cook says he does but his replacement policy is a bit different than ours), I would advise caution.

I also never claimed there was such a thing as "waterproof".

Sep 20, 2015 7:57 PM in response to hippiesrlame

I am a nursing student and I am wearing an Apple watch. I would be interested to see if I can use it to check HR and RR once the new OS would be available for download. But I can tell you that I went in vacation to Mexico and I wore the watch every single day; swimming in the ocean or in the pool, on the water slide and on the beach. The watch is working perfectly, no problems whatsoever. If it can stay on for 60 seconds this would be the very best piece of technology that I own, second only to my iPhone.

Apparently IT WILL STAY ON for 70 seconds:

User uploaded file

So YES, I totally love it!

Feb 2, 2016 4:11 PM in response to Tomorrownight

ICU nurse here!

I've had mine since November '15, and I love it. Unfortunately, I've gotten an abrasion/rash on the medial aspect of my lower left forearm - above my wrist. I've noticed the band easily stays wet after hand washing, and I suspect this has allowed this rash to set up. Keep your wrist and wristband clean and dry as Apple suggests. Rash dissipates after a couple of days off from work when I'm not wearing the watch. Gonna switch bands to something more traditional. Otherwise, if I could time ivp med administration or take a pulse, I'd say it's just about perfect!

Nurse on!!!

I am an ER nurse and want to know if this watch can stand up to the challenge. Any nurses out there?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.