Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows 10 on MacBook Pro Mid 2010 13"

Hi. So currently I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit on my Mid 2010 13 inch model. Everything appears to be running smoothly, however I've been looking to upgrade. On the boot camp compatibility list, it says my device can only run up to Windows 7 64 bit. Would my device still work if I made the upgrade?

Thanks,

-Brad

MacBook Pro, Other OS, MacBook Pro 13" mid 2010

Posted on Aug 13, 2015 7:35 PM

66 replies

Apr 19, 2017 1:35 PM in response to sidbidus

So i gave rEFIt a try and the still getting the crash on NVIDIA installation. Maybe i didn't use rEFIt correctly.

So i started by installing rEFIt but did not get any boot option on restarting. Found out i need to run enable.sh command for it to work.

After that, with the win10 usb, i got the rEFIt menu but only with os x option.

User uploaded file

After that i restarted the mac and pressed the alt key so i got the menu with rEFIt as an option.

User uploaded file

On pressing rEFIt option, i got the boot menu, where i installed win10 from the third option. the last option gave me a black screen with blinking hyphen sign. The blinking kept going on for 10-15 mins so i restarted.

User uploaded file

Now after installing windows, i get the refit menu on booting mac. so i thought i'll try to install again win10 since i'm getting the refit menu directly. Now the fourth option, without usb tell me no bootable device and with usb inserted, i see the black screen again with - sign.

Any ideas where i have gone wrong?

It seems, winclone is the only option left. But don't feel like spending $30 for it.

Apr 17, 2017 11:57 AM in response to bradj5

Windows must be installed in BIOS mode. EFI Windows will not run on this computer, because Apple's EFI implementation is slightly older than necessary.

Apple's BIOS won't let you boot from a non-Apple optical drive or USB drive that doesn't contain Mac OS because Apple. rEFIt will overcome this and let you boot anything.

Easier than making a VM IMO.

Apr 17, 2017 1:57 PM in response to Apples555

I agree it is easier than VM but i was able to boot from USB by making the disk non hybrid i guess ( mentioned in one of Loner T's post). However the problem with that is win10 crashes on installing NVIDIA drivers.

Haven't tried rEFIt but i'm assuming that it would give similar result.

Right now stuck on the process of directly installing the VM image as a raw disk on the partition. The above link provides instruction on an older version of VM Fusion. Mine is 8 and somehow i'm not able to use the raw disk description files since the file extension is different.

Apr 21, 2017 10:21 AM in response to sidbidus

So i gave this another try.

First, i used rEFIt option as it was already installed. As earlier, when i restarted with usb i got three new options. 2 of them had EFI word in it, the third was boot from HD(it didn't say BIOS). So i used the third option and i got the black screen blinking hyphen for 20 mins and nothing happened.

Then i decided to remove rEFIT and installed rEFInd and on restarting with usb, i got an option which mentioned - Boot Fallback boot loader from USBname. I choose this option, intalled Win10, and on installing NVIDIA Win10 crashed again.

After browing some forums, it seems i had to partition the USB as MBR and not GPT. So i partioned the USB as MBR from mac and created win10 usb using Rufus which mentioned BIOS boot option formating.

Now i am getting the error which is preventing me to install-"Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT style.". On net, it say it is due to a mismatch between the way the HDD is formatted and the USB format style.

Should I reformat the HDD with MBR. Coz on GUID, with usb formatted in GUID gives me the black screen blinking hyphen problem.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Apr 21, 2017 11:06 AM in response to sidbidus

sidbidus wrote:

Now i am getting the error which is preventing me to install-"Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT style.". On net, it say it is due to a mismatch between the way the HDD is formatted and the USB format style.

Should I reformat the HDD with MBR. Coz on GUID, with usb formatted in GUID gives me the black screen blinking hyphen problem.

You cannot and should not reformat the disk to an MBR, but you need to create a Hybrid MBR, using GPT Fdisk. This 'maps' the underlying GPT to a MBR and mimics a legacy MBR disk, which is required for the BIOS installation to work.

Apr 23, 2017 9:42 AM in response to Apples555

So finally i am able to install Windows 10 on my mid 2010 macbook pro 13" with the NVIDIA drivers working absolutely fine.

I couldn't find much info on converting protective boot to hybrid boot. Also, adding a FAT32 partition didn't change this coz i guess i had changed it earlier to protective. Further, since i was having problem merging partitions, i formatted the HDD, used timemachine backup to restore and partitioned again, it worked fine. I must add that creating more than 2 partitions, 3 actually- MacHD, Bootcamp and Recovery, would not let one install Windows.

Almost forgot, pressing alt key and then selecting rEFIt gave me the option to boot from USB. When rEFIt started without pressing the alt key, it did not have the option to boot from USB.

Many thanks to Apple555 and LonerT, your prompt responses are highly appreciated.

Apr 23, 2017 12:05 PM in response to bradj5

Audio is working fine. The drivers are from Cirrus and NVIDIA and not from Realtek. So no problems there.

I read somewhere that windows install through BIOS booting work work on only primary partition and one can have three primary partitions. I saw that when i made another partition, it did not show as primary when i ran the win installer on the screen where it says where to install windows. I guess in your case since you have 2 os x and 1 windows it works, i might be wrong.

I could not find how to disable IR. I don't see it in device manager and in control panel is does not show any device installed under IR. However my ir remote works fine.

Lastly, the colors seem a tad faded vis-a-vis osx. I did try color calibration but still the colors are not that vibrant especially when playing movies.

Apr 23, 2017 12:21 PM in response to sidbidus

Windows doesn't know how to handle the MacBook LCD so the colors look awful. You have to take the color profile from Mac OS and set it as the color profile for the LCD in Windows. It's one of the steps in my tutorial. Color calibration is something different. IIRC it's somewhere here: Library\ColorSync\Profiles\Displays. You're looking for an icc profile.

I just disabled IR because I never use it. It should be somewhere in device manager, especially if it works.

Happy computing.

May 17, 2017 6:57 PM in response to bradj5

im running win 10 64 bit on a 2010 13" MBP 4GB ram core 2 duo and a 575GB SSD just perfectly except no backlit keyboard and no trackpad so I use a mouse but there IS a way, I'm working on it now...will post when done. this is not true, the only thing are these two that don't work. BT, WIFI, DVD camera etc etc all work natively in bootcmp and runs great. Win 10 64bit will absolutely run on a 13" MBP.

Windows 10 on MacBook Pro Mid 2010 13"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.