Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgraded from Snow Leopard to Mavericks, all files lost, need help fast.

I recently upgraded my 2010 MacBook Pro to OSX Mavericks from Snow Leopard. All my files were deleted, and every second I spend on the new OSX, they are being overwritten. I have tried to access them so many different ways, needless to say i'm about to give up. The most important files were on the application "Front Row" in Snow Leopard. If I downgrade to Snow Leopard, will most of them be automatically restored? Please help, i'm desperate.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Aug 13, 2015 9:26 PM

9 replies

Aug 14, 2015 7:25 AM in response to TheKnottySwede

In addition to the page Linc provided, check your account isn't still on the disk…

1. In the Finder, choose the 'Go menu > Go to folder…'
  2. Enter /Users as the path & open it.
  3. Can you see multiple folders? Are there any that look like your old username?

Also in Finder 'Get info' on the main system disk - how much data is used in GB's? If you cannot find the system disk Use the Go menu again & look under 'Computer' for it. 'File > Get info' will list the sizes. Post that info here, it will help us work out if you have erased your internal disk (& lost data) or simply updated the OS & your files may still exist elsewhere.

Data recovery is best left to professionals but can be expensive, otherwise you can try doing it yourself, however you will need a second disk to recover onto & software to to the recovery. Also bear in mind that files may be found without their original filename, which makes it difficult if not impossible to rebuild your setup.

Upgraded from Snow Leopard to Mavericks, all files lost, need help fast.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.