Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

the battery on my macbook pro doesn't seem to last that long why??

my macbook pro seems to be going thru battery pretty quick does anyone else have this problem or can someone offer any ideas on how to fix this

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Aug 13, 2015 10:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2015 10:40 PM

terrapinstation wrote:

my macbook pro seems to be going thru battery pretty quick does anyone else have this problem or can someone offer any ideas on how to fix this

Your MacBook may have its battery capacity reduced due to many different reasons (first of all, improper operational conditions). Use coconutBattery to retrieve some useful information. I also recommend you completely discharging the battery (to the point when your Mac will turn off on its own). Also updating to the latest software version means getting the most recent technology which can significantly extend the battery life.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 13, 2015 10:40 PM in response to terrapinstation

terrapinstation wrote:

Your MacBook may have its battery capacity reduced due to many different reasons (first of all, improper operational conditions). Use coconutBattery to retrieve some useful information. I also recommend you completely discharging the battery (to the point when your Mac will turn off on its own). Also updating to the latest software version means getting the most recent technology which can significantly extend the battery life.

Aug 14, 2015 1:15 AM in response to terrapinstation

More than a few Apple articles suggest to not allow the portable's battery

to run flat or dead since that can damage their ability to carry a full charge

and reduce the run-time in the future, after such events.

Also, temperatures and other environmental conditions in the location of

use, can affect the battery life; and the computer settings can help reduce

the load on the battery when there is no ability to recharge it.

• About Mac notebook batteries - Apple Support

• Apps can affect Mac performance, battery runtime, temperature, and fan activity - Apple Support

•Maximizing Performance - Apple - Batteries:

https://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/

• Apple Portables: Troubleshooting MagSafe adapters - Apple Support

Review the following articles for more information on using diagnostics.

In any event, there are details about the configuration that would bear

looking into and the battery app suggested may be helpful in addition

to the other information and suggestions from Apple support articles.

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

Aug 14, 2015 3:48 AM in response to YakovM

YakovM wrote:

I also recommend you completely discharging the battery (to the point when your Mac will turn off on its own).

That is very poor advice. Deep discharges of lithium ion batteries will shorten the life of the battery. When the low battery waring comes on, the session should be terminated or the MBP should then be connected to AC. Never have the MBP turn off by draining the battery.

Ciao.

Aug 14, 2015 6:57 AM in response to terrapinstation

1. Check the cycle count of the battery against the rated life for your model. The battery may be due for replacement. If the power adapter is connected almost all the time, the battery may need replacing even though the cycle count is not too high.

2. Follow these instructions.

3. In the Energy Saver preference pane, uncheck the box marked

Enable Power Nap while on battery power

if it's shown (it may not be.)

4. You can also try resetting the SMC.

5. Make sure your system is up to date in Software Update.

6. Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store, or go to another authorized service center.

Aug 14, 2015 1:54 PM in response to Sulo28

Sulo28 wrote:

I'm fairly certain this is a 10.10.4/5 issue as this starting happening the minute after upgrading from 10.10.3.

It's hardly possible that such a serious problem as reduced battery life could preserve even after two major updates. Usually, when problems like these occur, they get fixed in the next update. (Needless to say, it's not typical to significantly change power consumption in a single OS version—Yosemite, in this case.)

the battery on my macbook pro doesn't seem to last that long why??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.