Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FTP Server problem in 10.10.5

Hi Community,

after upgrading to 10.10.5, my OKI MFP can not access my Mac Pro via FTP any more. It uses this function to transmit scans to a separate user account that I have set up for this purpose. I have turned the FTP server off and on with

sudo -s launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/ftp.plist

and

sudo -s launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/ftp.plist

respectively.

I have already checked that the Mac Pro's IP address has not changed and that user name and passwort of my "scanner" user account are still valid. But the OKI only reports that it could not log in to the FTP server. Any ideas or comments? Any known changes to FTP behaviour in 10.10.5?

Thanks in advance for your comments!

Posted on Aug 14, 2015 12:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2015 12:39 AM

Ok, found it. The update seems to have reset the FTP access rights in com.apple.access_ftp.

dseditgroup -o edit -u ((admin name)) -a ((scanner account)) com.apple.access_ftp

did the trick – now FTP scanning is working again.

10 replies

Aug 17, 2015 10:59 PM in response to Hannes_R

Forgive me, I know very little about how the Mac works on the inside.

I have a scanner hooked up to my Mac, using FTP to send scans to a shared folder until now.
It broke with 10.10.5, and I tried your suggestion unsuccessfully.

Just to be sure, the (( and )) should NOT be entered, correct?

I know what my admin name is.
The scanner account is less clear... Can I assume that this is what is displayed in my list of local servers, along with other Macs on the local network?

I tried that, and it didn't work. (“Failed to set credentials.”)

This is what I used:

dseditgroup -o edit -u MyMac -a fx-c83e15 com.apple.access_ftp

(The fx-c83e15 term is what is displayed by the scanner on my list of local devices. I also have the IP address if that helps any.)

There doesn't seem to be a place to see or set it on the printer/scanner itself (large Fuji Xerox).

Alternately, since other machines (older Macs, Windows) in the office can still receive scans from the scanner, is there any way I can verify what they are set to? on, but

Sorry to bug you with an amateur question, but it's crucial to me.

Thanks.

Edward Lipsett

Fukuoka, Japan

Aug 17, 2015 11:50 PM in response to elipsett

Edward,

no worries – I'm not a terminal expert myself. I found these command lines via Google and tried some experiments to adapt them to my needs.

You are absolutely correct – the (( and )) should not be entered. I marked these parts of the command as substitutes for the individual account names.

I am however not sure whether your setup exactly matches mine. In my case, I had to enter an FTP address, FTP user name and password into the setup of my OKI (which I did via the web interface of the OKI MFP). When I use FTP scanning on the OKI, it will access the FTP server running on my Mac Pro. Therefore I did set up a separate FTP user account on my Mac (via "Users & Groups" in system preferences), that the OKI can use to access my Mac Pro and upload the scans into the associated home directory.

The dseditgroup command makes sure that my "scanner user" has the necessary credentials to be accepted as a valid FTP user.

As far as I understand your posting, fx-c83e15 is the server name of your Fuji Xerox. But how do you operate the scan process? Is it initiated on the Mac? Or do you select at the scanner which machine it should send the scan to? In the latter case, you would have find out which user account the Fuji Xerox uses to login to your Mac. I would suppose that this is also accessible over some web interface of the Fuji Xerox. You might as well have a look at "Users & Groups" in system preferences and see if you can identify a user account that might the one used by the scanner.

This account name would then be the one to insert into the terminal command:

dseditgroup -o edit -u MyMac -a ACCOUNT_NAME com.apple.access_ftp

Hope this helps...

Aug 18, 2015 5:32 PM in response to Hannes_R

OK, that's a step in the right direction.
Since I don't know exactly what I'm doing, I'm trying to check each item individually.

The scanner hasn't changed, and since it has been uploading scans to the Mac via FTP, it has to be the one initiating the transfer.

I have no idea what the handshake protocol might be, but the Mac still accepts guest uploads from other machines on the local network to that shared folder (not using FTP, however).

The scanner is still able to upload scans to other machines on the local network (Mac and Windows).

The only thing that has changed is the upgrade to 10.10.5, which is why I'm more interested in how the Mac handles incoming requests.

On the scanner's control page, fx** is shown as its host name, connecting via Ethernet, which is correct.

The information entered into the scanner lets you define the target IP, shared folder path, and login name and password for Mac access, and those are all completely unchanged.

I will try making a new Mac user name fx* and see if that helps, though... since guest access is enabled to that shared folder it hasn't been necessary in the past.

So I am at a bit of a loss...

======5 minutes later
Nope, no change.
The scanner still reports login name/password error, and the Mac (as far as I can tell) does nothing.

Aug 18, 2015 7:52 PM in response to elipsett

OK, after continuing experimentation, I finally found a login/password for Terminal that results in

"Could not add member to group."

instead of "Failed to set credentials."

So apparently "Failed~" is a user authentication error, and I am now using the correct login information.

Which still doesn't get FTP enabled...

I also reset all the permissions, with no results.

Aug 23, 2015 11:36 PM in response to Hannes_R

UPDATE:

OK, I consulted with someone who actually knows his way around the Mac, and we spend about an hour rooting around.
The final conclusion is that something is weird somewhere, and we couldn't fix it.

However, we were able to make a new shared folder from the Admin user, and it works just fine.

It would be nice to know why the original one suddenly died, but as long as I've got my FTP back, it's not critical.

Aug 25, 2015 8:06 AM in response to Hannes_R

Just wanted to chime in and say thanks and that Hannes_R's method worked for me and our Canon Imagerunner 3570. Added the specific make and model so this thread has some more SEO juice to help others who have encountered this.

Apple takes fairly good care of things they want you to see but show what could almost be described as a proactive contempt for the software that they want to keep hidden.

FTP Server problem in 10.10.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.