Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.10.5 Update Breaks Retina MacBook Audio

Much to my surprise, I have found that installing the 10.10.5 update is breaking audio support on my Retina MacBook (2015).

With 10.10.4 audio was working as expected, however after upgrading to 10.10.5 audio ceases to work. The MacBook seemingly forgets that it has audio hardware, and behaves as if there is no sound hardware installed; there is no volume control, and items are missing from the Audio section of System Report. Built-in speakers or with headphones, it doesn't make a difference.

The physical hardware itself is fine, and the MacBook still chimes at startup. Similarly, restoring a TM backup to an earlier version of OS X puts everything back in working order as well. So it's something specific about the 10.10.5 update and what is probably an audio extension update.

At this point I've already tried the usual tricks such as repairing the hard drive permissions, with no change in status. Has anyone else encountered something like this or does anyone have any suggestions? I really don't want to have to choose between security updates and being able to hear anything via the MacBook.

MacBook, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Aug 14, 2015 3:44 AM

11 replies

Aug 14, 2015 5:43 AM in response to ToastyGPUs

I had trouble with my Audio after installing the latest Yosemite update and iTunes update. The sound was there but I couldn't change it (make it louder or quieter). I reset the pram or NVRAM ( How to Reset NVRAM on your Mac https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063) after I did a How to Reset SMC on your Mac https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295 . I'm not sure which did it but all is fine now. If I had to guess I would think resetting the nvram was the one, but I don't know. Remember if you do the nvram or zapping the pram, remember to check system preferences. On my iMac with is always select the startup disk and reactivate Find my Mac. Good luck Mark

Aug 14, 2015 7:33 AM in response to ToastyGPUs

There are many possible causes for this issue. Take each of the following steps that you haven't already tried. Some may not apply to your model. Back up all data before making any changes.

1. Start with the steps recommended in this support article. Don't skip any of the steps. It's the starting point for further efforts to solve the problem.

2. Make sure you have a fully up-to-date installation of OS X.

3. If you've installed an application called "Memory Clean" or any other third-party software that is supposed to "clean" or "purge" memory automatically, remove it according to the developer's instructions and restart. You should do that even if the software is not causing the problem, because it's useless.

4. Other third-party software that has been reported to interfere with sound output includes "Boom" and "Samsung Kies." If applicable, uninstall according to the developer's instructions (not by dragging something to the Trash.)

5. If an AirPlay device is selected for sound output from iTunes (or from other applications via third-party software such as "Airfoil"), deselect it.

6. Launch the application "Audio MIDI Setup" by entering the first few letters of its name in a Spotlight search and selecting it in the results (it should be at the top.) Select Built-in Output from the list on the left. If the Mute boxes are checked, uncheck them.

7. If a red light is visible in the audio-out port when sound should be playing, the internal switch is stuck in the position for digital output. You may be able to free it by inserting and removing a mini-stereo jack of the proper size. If not, the machine needs to be serviced. Inserting any kind of tool in the port may cause damage that won't be covered by the warranty.

If there's no red light, the switch may still be stuck in the headphone position. Try to free it the same way.

8. Disconnect all wired peripherals except keyboard and mouse, if applicable. If more than one display is connected, disconnect all extra ones. Restart and test.

9. If you have a MacBook Air, turn off Bluetooth and restart.

10. Start up in safe mode. Don't log in; just restart as usual when the login screen appears. When you do, make sure the words "Safe Boot" do not appear in the login screen. If they do, the system is still in safe mode and sound won't work.

11. Reset the NVRAM.

12. Reset the SMC.

13. Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

/Library/Preferences/Audio

Right-click or control-click the highlighted line and select

Services Reveal in Finder (or just Reveal)

from the contextual menu.* A folder should open with an item selected. Move the selected item to the Trash. You may be prompted for your administrator login password. Restart the computer and empty the Trash. Recreate your settings in the Sound preference pane.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

14. Reinstall OS X after backing up all data.

15. Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store.

Aug 14, 2015 1:20 PM in response to Linc Davis

As an update, had already done most of what was on Linc's list, though this MacBook was a pretty bare-bones software installation to begin with.

Ultimately nothing worked short of reinstalling OS X via Internet Recovery. The fresh 10.10.5 install had working audio, and restoring the user via Migration Assistant off of Boot Camp got everything back where it needed to be without re-breaking audio. So I was able to get audio working again, but only via the most painful way possible short of sending it in to Apple.

Aug 21, 2015 1:11 PM in response to Linc Davis

10.10.5 also breaks audio on an iMac i7 2,8 GHz 27-inch, Late 2009

At first reboot after combo update 10.10.5 audio was working properly. The second boot after update lead to audio failure.

Following guidelines here : Troubleshooting issues with no audio from built-in speakers on Macs - Apple Support

I see that i have red light coming from the audio port.

I plug headphone and then i have audio with no volume control.

As soon as I unplug the audio port the red light is on again.

The only output option I have is digital out optical.

I can see that "system information" > Hardware/audio/Devices/Build-in Output

the display on the below pan is bugged : I see one letter per line here.

all other displays of the "System Information" app are good looking.

following your reply : point 7. there is no way my audio port is clogged or blocked : it works.

So i will continue on all the remaining points. going to safe mode reboot.

Aug 21, 2015 1:41 PM in response to Alexandre Lollini

/Library/Preferences/Audio

folder trashed, reboot, still no change, I see only digital out put.

OK after a second thought, this is not the combo update that broke audio (it rebooted fine after that)

the culprit is the "OS X Yosemite Recovery Update".

this is the only modification made to my system between ok situation and broken situation.

Aug 27, 2015 11:59 PM in response to metaxis

still no change, I see only digital output.

OK after a second thought, this is not the combo update that breaks audio (it rebooted fine after that)

the culprit is the "OS X Yosemite Recovery Update".

this is the only modification made to my system between ok situation and broken situation.

i don't have time for a reinstall today

for bad software causes, macs are now just another rebooting pc and iphone just another rebooting droid : rubbish.

10.10.5 Update Breaks Retina MacBook Audio

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.