Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does anyone know if I should be concerned about the following Warning: SUID file "system/library/coreS.... has been modified and will not be repaired. ? This showed up after running the utility to check preferences.

Does anyone know if I should be concerned about the following Warning: SUID file "system/library/coreS.... has been modified and will not be repaired. ? This showed up after running the utility to check preferences.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Aug 14, 2015 7:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2015 7:06 AM

Do not worry about that. It is one of the permission issues you can ignore because it does not show that there is any problem with your Mac. See -> Mac OS X: Disk Utility's Repair Disk Permissions messages that you can safely ignore - Apple Support

8 replies

Aug 14, 2015 9:11 AM in response to mende1

Thanks mende1, that's quite a list! It seems Apple could avoid any misunderstanding about those messages without referring to an obscure Support Article by merely using a tiny bit better crafting of the phrase ending the sentence, e.g.,

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/OwnerGroupTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/OwnerGroupTool" has been modified and will does not be require repaired.

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/OwnerGroupTool" has been modified and does not require repair.

I would send Feedback if I thought it would do any good. 😉

Nice to meet you, amigo

ÇÇÇ

Aug 14, 2015 9:16 AM in response to ChitlinsCC

ChitlinsCC wrote:

Thanks mende1, that's quite a list! It seems Apple could avoid any misunderstanding about those messages without referring to an obscure Support Article by merely using a tiny bit better crafting of the phrase ending the sentence, e.g.,

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/OwnerGroupTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/OwnerGroupTool" has been modified and will does not be require repaired.

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/OwnerGroupTool" has been modified and does not require repair.

I would send Feedback if I thought it would do any good. 😉

Nice to meet you, amigo

ÇÇÇ

I wish that all users were like you 😉. You are welcome

Aug 14, 2015 9:16 AM in response to ChitlinsCC

And it's not even a complete list. As stated at the top:

The following are examples of messages

To post every single type of permissions message users can ignore across multiple versions of OS X would be incredibly long.

Apple must have also gotten very tired of users calling support about this same type of concern. In El Capitan, there is no Repair Permissions button. All permissions are automatically checked in the background by the OS and fixed if necessary.

Aug 14, 2015 9:36 AM in response to Kurt Lang

Howdy, amigo.

1. To post every single type of permissions message users can ignore across multiple versions of OS X would be incredibly long.
  2. Apple must have also gotten very tired of users calling support about this same type of concern. In El Capitan, there is no Repair Permissions button. All permissions are automatically checked in the background by the OS and fixed if necessary.
  1. Solved easily with using language to communicate. I would do as far as to say at the end:
    Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/OwnerGroupTool" has been modified and does not require repair. You can safely ignore this message.
  2. I submit that accurate and COMPLETE alerts and FYI messages would all but eliminate the need for MANY support calls, posts here and articles[see #1]

Buenos tardes!

ÇÇÇ

Aug 14, 2015 9:59 AM in response to j.hicks

Further clarification:

As long as the report ends up with 'Permissions repair complete' then, as far as permissions go, you are fine. You can ignore the various statements in the report:

Permissions you can ignore on 10.5 onwards:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1448

Using 'should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r--' as an example, you will see the that the permissions are not changed, but the | indicates a different location. This is because an update to Leopard onwards changed the location of a number of system components.

Poster rccharles has provided this description of what it all means:

drwxrwxrwx

d = directory

r = read

w = write

x = executeable program

drwxrwxrwx

| | |

| | all other users not in first two types

| |

| group

|

owner

a little more info

Before the user had read & write. A member of the group had read.

After, only the user had read & write.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.